Tuesday, April 2, 2024

You should never meet your hero's feet.

So we did a lot of landmarks and touristy shit when we went to California. The Hollywood Sign. Beverly Hills. Grauman's Chinses Theatre.

I wanted to find the John Wayne Plaque. You know what is about there right? They put concrete out and the star puts his feet or his hands and signs it with a message to the guy who owned the joint. I looked and I looked but I couldn't find it.

The place is a lot like Times Square. Bustling crowds. Street vendors selling food and other crap. Hustlers trying to get you to take a picture with Elmo or in this case a Mexican dressed like the clown from the Stephen King Miniseries. My sister-in-law is with us and she is very afraid of the street people. She begs us to not interact with them. Yeah. Like we would listen.

As I fruitlessly look for the Duke's plaque, the wife starts talking to this dude who is standing outside. He was a barker trying to get the people to actually come into the theatre to see a movie. You see everyone just mills around outside and very few go in to catch a show. She asks him for the John Wayne place because she saw it on "I Love Lucy" and her husband wanted to see it. So, he brings us over to it.

I couldn't believe it. The Duke has tiny tootsies. 

The guy explains what happened. He said that the Duke was wearing a pair of cowboy boots from the movie he was in that had a high arch, so it compressed his feet. I mean he is three inches taller than me and his feet looked tiny. Then he said there is a rumor that the concrete compresses your shoe size as it dries.  Afleck told that to his butt buddy Matt Damon to wear the biggest pair of shoes he owned. I went over to see and they were still three inches smaller than me.

Waddaya gonna do?

2 comments:

edutcher said...

If you recall, one thing Katherine Heartburn noticed about the Duke when they were shooting Rooster Cogburn was his "little Irish feet".

The Know-Nothings have never left.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I am not surprised by Afleck and Damon's tiny feet, but sad about the Duke. What about Godzilla? Did they have his print?