Friday, August 21, 2020

My All-Time Favorite Insult


          Walking home I tried to think what he reminded me
          of and there were various things. They were all medical
          except toe-jam and that was a slang word.
          --Ernest Hemingway, A Moveable Feast, writing about Wyndham Lewis

Hemingway, despite his Macho Man persona, really knew how to be bitchy.


"Insult" is a word which is pronounced differently depending on whether you are using it as a verb or a noun. I can't offhand think of any others. There's "entrance," but its two pronunciations have entirely different meanings; they're not just different parts of speech for the same word. Maybe "produce?" Almost, but not quite. The general noun for produce(v) would be product; produce(n) (ie veggies) is a particular type of product.

There ought to be a word for such words, but if there is I can't find it. Heteronym is sort of in the ballpark, but not specific enough.

13 comments:

The Dude said...

I am going to resume work on my resume, and also polish my Polish. I know there are others, but I will have to think on that subject prior to subjecting you to my ruminations.

Calypso Facto said...

Hmmm ... One who graduates is a graduate. That which gets refused is refuse. You can consult someone at a consult. If you catch a live animal you may let it live.

All due to verbification, nounification, or adjectivification at some point, I'm sure, but interesting how the change in pronunciation crept in. I certainly don't know of a word for it, so the field is wide open for your coinage!

Trooper York said...

At the beach I wind myself up because of the wind.

It got everywhere.

edutcher said...

Best insult?

Mrs -, you mean the woman with the nasturtium colored hair and the barmaid manner?

ndspinelli said...

There's a passing mention in the book I'm reading that Charles Bukowski was a Nazi. I know little about him.

The Dude said...

Rebels rebel.

Mumpsimus said...

Bull's-eye, Sixty! Thank you.

MamaM said...

I bow to Capt. Sixty Sure's ability to stand on deck in the bow of a heaving ship at sea and hit the masthead or a mouse eye (viewer's choice) with a well-placed arrow from his stringed bow. He, in turn, lauds those who skillfully wend a rosined bow with a heartfelt, Bow-Wow!

When it comes to macho man bitchiness, surely that too would fall into the homo-hetero murk of confusion and obfuscation surrounding a single well placed or unfortunate shot depending on perspective.

MamaM said...

And when the ship's really heaving, a buffeted buffet is served.

MamaM said...

It consists of clear soup, tea and crackers served for the invalids and those too queasy with seasickness to give a glance much less entrance to richer fare presented in sumptuous displays that would normally delight and entrance.

Is using the list provided in the link as low if not lower, than using the Google match function to find the Whose Girl and make cute or coy comments suggesting connection? If so, consider these last three entries invalid. I couldn't think of any on my own, and was surprised to find the list at the link to be as long as it was!

MamaM said...

Due to the storm delay and lack of wifi, those who'd hoped to rent a moped onshore when the ship docked, moped instead in their cabins, contenting themselves by perusing previously saved content on their phones.

The Dude said...

If you make slides you can project your latest project.

chickelit said...

A personal favorite of mine is "periodic." It's pronounced pier-ee-ODD-ic you mean as in Periodic table, but pronounced pear-eye-OH-dick if you mean the acid.