Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Nike shoes

They're ugly.

Apologies if you bought a pair, or if they're your brand, but if so, then you bought ugly shoes.

I'm in a shoe-scoping phase.

I bought four pair of shoes this summer and wear only one of the pair.  The ugliest of them all and I feel ridiculous wearing them. I hate everything. But I never even considered Nike. On sight, there is nothing to recommend them next to the million other brands. Try it on Zappos and see. They're just blah compared with everything else.

They are like so last century.

I stood outside and waited for Amazon and gazed upon everyone's shoes as they passed by, judging each shoe-wearer harshly. I didn't see one single pair that I'd buy happily. Although a couple of them were okay.

Why everyone has gravitated toward these cheap-ass sneakers with rubber soles befuddles and aggravates me completely. Although I admit occasionally someone does pull it off.

And then I went to Whole Foods on Washington at I-25 last week, a small place, and there I saw men who comprehend the importance of good shoes. The only place I saw it. Everywhere else is full on no-class fabric athletic shoes. For the first time, the whole day. They were all concentrated at Whole Foods, as if solid choice in food matches solid choice in shoes. They looked so completely together, so mentally stable, properly matured in their smart leather shoes, not even pretending to be any kind of everyday athlete of any sort, track runner, ball player, what have you.

And the first good pair I saw matched a pair that I own. It was like a ray of sunlight striking the earth as spotlight upon well-chosen shoes. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, all three pair match pairs that I own. But his match my all-time favorite.

That presently I cannot wear.

And I thought wow, those look really good on you. You win the shoe-contest for today that nobody knows they're in.




My impulse was congratulate him. I wanted to ask him, "are those buffalo?" A young man. At least half my age. He would have appreciated that. And then he would think to himself privately as I walk away, "weirdo" for my strange other-worldly Ally-Oop profile extra wide shoes that make me look like I have no discretion whatsoever.


Chosen because of this:

That's the shape of my foot. The toes don't come to a point like a dagger.

They're okay. I guess. For now. For my emergency situation. I'm not recommending anything.

Except this guy's shoes are a lot more narrow. Like two leather torpedoes. And long pant normal jeans. Not narrow jeans as pictured and not rolled up.  None of that stupid stone-wash to bald patches crap. Still, I thought, okay, now that's hot. It forms a good impression immediately. Plain, simple correctness. If I were to speak with him, then I'm assured he would speak sensibly. The other guy wore somewhat dorky penny-loafers, no socks and short pants, like poorly put together good taste without actual style, as if he doesn't even own any athletic shoes, and just hopped in his car to go grocery shopping, and a third guy wore dress shoes wingtips with no socks and short pants, a mismatch situation that's faintly ridiculous but still looked more solid than any athletic cloth or man-made materials shoes.

Screw Nike. Their slave-labor business is way too competitive to engage in bizarre social justice antics. 

While burning the Nike shoes that you own to make a point doesn't do anything either. Empty signaling. The shoes are already purchased, burning them now doesn't affect Nike. Your future shoe-choices do.  Burning five pair of perfectly good shoes that you've chosen for some reason, is ridiculous. It just shows that you're willing to waste. 

Know what's a bit weird? I actually like Kaepernick. I don't know why. I haven't heard him orating, maybe that would change my mind. He hasn't annoyed me. The disruption he brings is the only thing that I know about him. The damage he wrought on the NFL and the damage he inflicts on Nike by simply being Kaepernick is fine with me. I never cared much for both of those things. And the national discussion he's provoked is important to have. For other people to have. Not me.

19 comments:

Amartel said...

He was a good QB while Jim Harbaugh was still around. Was cast adrift when Harbaugh departed. I cheered for the guy. (I was still a SF football fan back then.) I get that sometimes you need your QB whisperer, that a new coach does not necessarily speak the right language, take the right tone; that there are many many variables. But a real winner finds a way. Poor Caper is not a real winner. Also feel bad for him because I think he started down this path to impress his girlfriend and it just got out of control and went too far. He has no intention of returning and couldn't even if he wanted to because he's utterly out of shape and nowhere near game-ready. Even if there were people around who wanted to watch him play. He would suck. He knows that. Can only milk this kneeling thing for all it's worth, take the money and run. SAD! Professional athletes who have been babied all their lives are so helpless.

chickelit said...

Somebody needs to dig out and riff on the old Heaven’s Gate cult suicide photos— the ones that show all the corpses wearing Niked.

ndspinelli said...

chick, LOL. Great thought. Phil Knight can be Marshall Applewhite and Kapernick a Heaven's Gate recruiter.

The Dude said...

I am a New Balance guy myself, they fit the shape of my feet. But being the cheap sort, I have a big pile of old worn out sneakers, busted, soles off, disgusting, nasty - my mud shoes, basically. I tossed one set recently (you can imagine how threadbare they were for me to do that) and dragged out the next pair in the rotation. To my surprise they were Nikes. They have to be 20-25 years old - it's been that long since I bought that brand. But I won't burn them, not even when I am wearing them, and when they go to that great trash can in the sky that will be that.

I am too cheap to make an example of my virtue signaling. But my boycott began several decades ago.

ricpic said...

Apart

What will I put in my stomach?! What will I put on my feet?!

Meanwhile the wild winds are blowing,
All creatures are comely and mute

Save only Man in paroxysms of self-suffering sweet.

deborah said...

For sneakers, that pair you've pictured are pretty nice. Where are they from?

deborah said...

My current pair. I like them because they blend with blue jeans and the braid is feminine:

NB

edutcher said...

US Keds and PF Flyers were just fine. Then we had to have "athletic shoes" that cost $100.

ampersand said...

Nike don't want their shoes boycotted in the next looter riot. Street cred man.

Leland said...

For sneakers, I'm like Sixty and buy New Balance. However, I also buy Rockports for work, which were made by Reebox, and later bought by All Day I Dream About Sex (Adidas). I decided to do a quick search while posting, and I see Rockport filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and closed brick and mortar stores in July 2018. Fortunately, the website is still up.

It's been over a decade since I purchased any Nike brand shoes. I find them expensive, and the last few sets I purchased where from outlet stores. I can't boycott what I don't buy anyway.

The Dude said...

Back when I had a job I wore Rockports, which in those days were hand made by Mainiacs.

Trooper York said...

I wore Chuck Taylor All Stars ever since I was ten years old.

Now they are popular with the hipsters and I can't wear them anymore.

Of course I have size 14 feet so I can only shop in the store where Herman Munster buys his shoes.

I only wear sandals or Red Wing shoes.

I remember when I was going through the security at Fort Lauderdale airport and had a couple of boxes of Red Wings that I bought there and the moolie on duty asked me if I was a big hockey fan.

Yeah. Future congressman.

Trooper York said...

The guys in my crew all wore either Chuck Taylors or PF Flyers until Clyde Frazier started endorsing Pumas. Then all the cool kids got Pumas. Me not so much.

Rabel said...

I have now given up on New Balance. I bought two pair online in the last year.

The first pair, a 12 D made in China (my normal size and the size of my old but perfectly fitting and then in use New Balances), was painfully narrow, but I kept them in the hope they would stretch out. Didn't happen. I've worn them four or five times to play racquetball. They hurt.

Being a slow learner, I bought another pair of New Balance online of a different style.

They were 12 Double E made in Indonesia. Double E was the next width available after D. They are ridiculously wide. And much too long. Setting them next to the ones that are too narrow is like setting a battleship next to a rowboat. Not even close.

If you make shoes for a living how hard can it be to at least get something close to consistency in sizing? Apparently it's too hard for New Balance as it currently exists.

AllenS said...

TY! Size 14 feet? If I had size 14 feet, I could walk on water, or at least sprint on top of water. Pick em up and put em down.

Rabel said...

"TY! Size 14 feet?"

Don't encourage him or he'll be putting up the pics that none of us want to see.

The Dude said...

My NBs are one of the few things I won't buy online. There is a discount shoe store in a mall about 10 miles from here and when I need shoes I drive to the big city and try them on. It's the only way to be certain that they are the right size. Even when I used the exact same part number to buy them from Amazon I had to return them due to the same reasons mentioned by Rabel.

Shoes - what are you going to do?

Amartel said...

I grew up in Nike Country wearing John Havlicek brand sneakers. I don't care about the brand and I'd rather not pay extra for an overvalued brand.

Amartel said...

That's some serious shoe ambivalence.