Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Sonia Sotomayor orders temporary enjoinment

From enforcing against applicants the contraceptive coverage requirements imposed by new healthcare law in the shortest Supreme Court order that I have ever seen.

From enforcing (stop a force)
against applicants (someone trying to do something)
contraceptive (something that prevents)
coverage (something that protects)
requirements (something forced)
imposed (straight up force)
by law (there ya go)

That's some confusing shit all packed up in one sentence. That's like a double negative with double positives with another negative, what three negatives, so in English that's back to being negative again, in this case meaning, "Stop it." I think. I'm not good at this at all because the dialect I speak is more like regular American English. Okay I admit, it's actually the first Supreme Court order I've seen. And I made up that word enjoinment.

She is protecting a Colorado outfit, temporarily, Little Sisters of the Poor Home for the Aged. Never heard of 'em.

Bless.

Happy new year everybody good luck to you in negotiating the confusion created by this ideologic activism on a national scale utterly absent bipartisan support and I mean that, good luck, I do feel for the people cast into confusion, so many made innocent victims of economic uncertainty and that is bad.

Yesterday, the 31st, I had a doctor's appointment. Turned out to be a perfect day here for that. Lucked out, horrible day for that elsewhere. Arrived bright and early, no traffic, no lights, and two other patients there, clients, whatever, and while waiting together I forced them to engage me in conversation, I mean, they were  drawn to my naturally occurring irrepressible charm and wanted to be part of the happy little party in the air that occurs around me everywhere. *pause* It could happen.

I learned to my dismay the woman I've known for years who handles all details of my healthcare needs, makes appointments for me, calls all the time to confirm them, to check up time to time, sees to emergencies, runs the office, sets up the rooms for patients, draws blood, provides results of tests, straightens out problems arising with prescriptions, insurance, basically runs the whole place and aptly ably besides, deftly uses every piece of equipment in every room, presently has no healthcare insurance herself and has no idea what she is to do about that. The angle of her head tilts and she moves in closer across the counter, "It cost $791.00 a month!" Her eyes bulge. And that does seem like a lot for an RN to come up with.

Her boss, my friend, overt Dem supporter, that is, overt Rep detractor, is not nearly so good at covering his employees as he is covering his Party to whom his liege is sworn blindly. Mind made up. No need to think about that anymore. Focus!

I am so thankful the Federal Reserve has taken care of my stupid ass so well for so long. I could not have made out this sweet during this upheaval had they not been doing the hard work of keeping this straight all along. I AM paying for contraceptives and all manner of baby-preventing things, more so than with post natal and with no need for those things and have been paying for them all along. That is part our internally socialized deal. It is why my cost was so high all along. And now in the midst of all this confusion, my cost is actually lowered, my confusion nil compared to what others are experiencing now. Although I still dread seeing all envelopes in the mail regarding any healthcare matter. All those things I complained about over the years, like a big baby, the trouble of making choices each year, new cards all around for medical and for prescriptions all the time, re-making the same choices again and again and again, cycling through HMOs, forced learning about different healthcare coverage schemes, seem like childish complaints compared to what people are experiencing right now. It's all the same thing except now all at once like a ton of bricks falling on their innocent heads. Professional people too, not just ordinary low-infos like myself that waited to the last minute for everything to sort itself. Like I would have on my own. These are smart people in the field who take care of other people's healthcare needs every day and do not know just yet how they are to manage their own situations. I was shocked by that. For all that I paid all along, at this point is a bargain I am pleased to have paid.

I am so sorry this had to come about this way. It will work out. It must. It will work because it must. That is not fanciful thinking either, it absolutely must work so it will be forced to work, one way or another it will work, fully kluged and clunking, because the American people will fill in for the meanness and the incompetence, but I can never forget the perfectly dreadful unAmerican way it is forced, and it will be impossible to forgive the long list of infractions in dragging it through in this manner and delivered so corruptly and dreadfully while other cleaner clearer and less intrusive, less expensive alternatives available all along unexplored, all the while proclaiming repeatedly, "You got nothing."

12 comments:

edutcher said...

She got her orders.

Mumpsimus said...

A commenter at Instapundit notes, "Any law with a section §300gg-13(a)(4) is bound to be trouble."

Michael Haz said...

Brilliant essay, Chip. Any time I read something you have posted here at InstaLem, I come away better for having done so.

john said...

Little Sisters of the Poor are on my contribution list.

They took in my great grandfather, a total misfit who abandoned his family and wasted his remaining wealth, from the streets in St Paul, and gave him a bed, food, a final resting place in the paupers cemetery and kept a record his greatgrandkids could find 70 years later.

A wonderful bunch of ladies who still do great work with some real downtrodden folk. They are spending money on this lawsuit and could use some (tax deductible) financial help.

YoungHegelian said...

Little Sisters of the Poor Home for the Aged.

You know that deep down in her Puerto Rican soul, Sonia Sotomayor knew that if she shafted the Little Sisters of the Poor, she was going to burn in Hell for all eternity.

Fr Martin Fox said...

The Little Sisters need to be the face of this, because they absolutely illustrate what the forced-cooperation-with-contraception mandate is all about.

Gov't says: if you don't help people get contraceptives, you're doing a bad job in medical care, so get with the program or get out.

Little Sisters of the Poor: we care for a lot of people and don't give out contraceptives. You say we're doing a bad job?

Gov't: Lalala, nonny-nonny-I-can't-hear-you!

Media: What's a 'Little Sister of the Poor'? Do you have any more of those delicious snacks?

I think they will probably win; but if they don't, then I think they should flat-out defy the government; never comply, and let the fines accumulate. Then let the gov't come and seize their property. The sisters should line up in front with their hands out, ready to be cuffed.

That would be a nightmare for President Obama. He'd probably just give them a waiver.

ricpic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sakredkow said...

Gov't says: if you don't help people get contraceptives, you're doing a bad job in medical care, so get with the program or get out.

Little Sisters of the Poor: we care for a lot of people and don't give out contraceptives. You say we're doing a bad job?

Gov't: Lalala, nonny-nonny-I-can't-hear-you!


Are they saying "You're doing a bad job" or are they saying "You're not following the rules"?

Trooper York said...

They are following the rules. Of their religion.

Obama wants them to break those rules. Because.....Obama.

Trooper York said...

Would you force Muslims to eat pork?

Because it is the same thing.

I mean everybody eats pork right? Just like everybody uses contraception. So what's the big deal? It is just a silly little religious law that you bitter clingers are holding on to in defiance of the great and powerful Obama.

Chip Ahoy said...

Thank you, Michael.

Trooper York said...

Oh and by the way .....nothing says judicial temperament like a kick line with Ryan Seacrest, Miley Cyrus and Debbie Harry.

I mean seriously. I know you could definitely see Oliver Wendel Holmes or Hugo Black doing that. Right?