Friday, January 31, 2014

"Getting To Know The Voices In Your Head"

"A few months back, while riding the subway, some words fell out of my mouth: “No, no, don't worry about it.” Addressing no one but myself, I blurted this phrase while mentally replaying an earlier, embarrassing conversation. Although I have occasionally muttered out loud when alone, this was the first instance in such a public space. No one seemed to care or even notice. Still, I could not help wondering whether my mind was drifting too far from the familiar realm of the functionally neurotic. Was I spending too much time in my own head, obsessed with soliloquy?"

"To my relief, it turns out that just about everyone talks to themselves, both out loud and silently, much of the time. The habit begins in childhood with what psychologists call private speech: speaking to oneself aloud while playing with a favorite action figure, for example, or making bunny ears out of shoelaces. As we age, most of us converse with ourselves out loud much less often, but at least a couple of studies suggest that most adults and adolescents sometimes speak to themselves audibly. In a 2006 study by psychologist Adam Winsler of George Mason University and his colleagues, 46 of 48 women admitted that they murmured to themselves now and then. And we all talk to ourselves silently throughout life. Psychologists call this type of thought inner speech or self-talk, and it occupies about one quarter of conscious experience."

If you want to read the rest of this Scientific American article you will have to register and pay a fee.

8 comments:

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

(1) I can remember when Scientific American was a serious publication. That the author of the cited quotes manages to conflate: (a) blurting out a thought, (b) conversing with oneself, and (c) a habit; tells me that something has changed.

(2) I should add that I was taught that it's proper to say "one's self" but the internet tells me otherwise.

(3) And what the hell is up with that semicolon in (1), anyway?

(4) Wait a minute. Was that out loud or did I just think it?

Trooper York said...

Lem listen to those voices. They all agree on one thing.

"Boston sucks."

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

We have a good team this year.

Word has it that because the Yanks broke the bank, all the teams are going to play better when they face the Yanks.

They are going to have an incentive to beat them.

edutcher said...

I like Bill Cosby's take best.

The guy you think you see talking to himself is actually have a confab with somebody 2 blocks over.

ricpic said...

Total BS that we talk to ourselves out loud less as we age. Who else is left that can return the ball as well as moi to moi? Threw in a little frog lingo to class up the joint for the oh so superior and don't he know it ARM.

sakredkow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Guildofcannonballs said...

Back upon infancy I recall what others do not.

It was here I proclaimed the Denver Broncos the finest and greatest group of me (military exempted) to walk Earth.

John Elway, the man behind the man, is depending on his defense to treat Seatle as they did that Boston favorite and their power running game.

The real duck dynasty, unbeknownst to all but me and now you, us lucky few, is Russ Wilson shit the bed in the Rose Bowl against the Oregon D U C K S.

Peyton has to be average in this game to become without refute the greatest player, all time or ALL-TIME as you like, of any game conceived by man.

I watched Peyton go to Dallas and use all the skills he has to prosper.

I feel, 48-30 Broncos, Elway goes on to Senate and POTUS as I said here early on.

Early, early on.

Guildofcannonballs said...

Oh shit...

I meant to write the "Denver Broncos are the greatest group of men..." but was unable to execute.

Doesn't change destiny. 48-30. Greatest player of all all-time lists, with Elway becoming POTUS.