Saturday, November 16, 2013

"Jay Z sticks with Barneys amid ‘shop and frisk’ furor"

"Jay Z will keep his special line of holiday goods at Barneys New York despite the furor over the “shop and frisk” controversy at the store, he said in a statement Friday night."
Jay had been pressured to drop the line with the retailer after two innocent African-American shoppers were questioned by police in separate incidents after making expensive purchases at Barneys, which also denies any wrongdoing.
Jay Z is sticking by Barneys
Barneys said of Jay Z’s decision: “Moving forward, Mr. Carter’s leadership in this process will further strengthen the industry’s ability to ensure that anyone who walks into a retail establishment is treated equally and with respect.”
NY Post Page Six

7 comments:

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Good for Jay Z. I agree stores can be especially annoying in following you around (I do not go to those Asian stores where the little Korean lady follows like four feet behind you...).

Oh shit! Does that make me a racist?

YoungHegelian said...

Jay had been pressured to drop the line with the retailer after two innocent African-American shoppers were questioned by police in separate incidents after making expensive purchases at Barneys....

Am I missing something here? The police were involved? How did the police get called instead of store guards?

When I get asked to show proof of purchase as I leave a store, I show my receipt & the item to the guard. Did Barney's refuse to believe these black shoppers even after they showed the receipt? If so, that's horrendous. Or, did the black shoppers pitch a conniption and refuse to show a receipt, in which case, well, Barney's should not apologize, it should tell them to never come back.

Oh, and rest assured that the poor store guards caught in the middle of this are anything but lily-white crackers.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

If a store crosses the line and harasses you, you do have a remedy: It is called a lawsuit.

YoungHegelian is spot on. We need more facts!

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I get stopped all the time. Especially when I go in china shops.

Palladian said...

Whenever I see this man or his wife I think of courtiers dancing upon the backs of peasants.

rcocean said...

Shopping while black.

The downside of affirmative action, quotas, and jobs/graft provided based on skin color.

Take our friend Crack - would we even be discussing him if he wasn't black and cried "racism" all the time?

I doubt it.

Methadras said...

Uh, yeah, uh-huh
uh, yeah, das rite
uh, yeah, uh-huh
Stop n' frisk is in da howz
so i reach into my pocket for the fresh amount
But I hang out in play in Barney's all day
cause this dumb deala nigga has gotz to get paid
uh, yeah, uh-huh
uh, yeah, das rite
uh, yeah, uh-huh