Tuesday, November 12, 2013

microgreens

I bought a book by chef Gordon Ramsay and I must say I am disappointed. Fast foods.

My complaint about the book is the printing. I expected a better physical book. I broke the spine in several places and the whole cover dislodged. Eh. It is printed on heavy stock, text and photos on the same paper so the photos are not high fidelity. Worst, the text and background are that cutesy alternating, "I'm a girl! And I cannot make up my mind about colors, and I have a new publishing kit" alternating typeface, dark gray on light gray background, any random page differs from the pages around it, black text and white text on green background, intervening photo on card stock, (I could use these pages for pop-ups they are that stiff), maroon text on pink background, photo on same stock, olive green text against light blue, photo on same stock, red text on gray background, green text pink background, do your eyes hurt yet? It cannot be read in low light, and here I do not believe Ramsay said okay to this print job. That is among the first things he does to disastrous restaurants is fix their menus. I'll put it this way, the overall look is not just unreadable it is unappealing.

I wanted pictures and I have them. Printed poorly. I wanted pictures better than Google [gordon ramsay food] Google images wins. Ramsay's style, hardly any of all that is his.

I was raised normally. All courses right there at once bang everything on the plate. Scoop up what you want and pile it on there.

That is not how I do things now. I like salads a lot, but how to get those things inside a regular meal. In order to have the main thing and some vegetable too. Or a lot of herbs. Something that brings in color and variety and texture and greens, and probably those minerals and vitamins I keep hearing about.

Microgreens, that is what they are doing now.

I guess that is another thing to pick up a sack of. "Honey, don't forget to get a bag of microgreens." It is the closest thing to a salad you're having.

I notice they take a little pile of various microgreens, often that squiggly escarole, and place a small compressed pile on something like a steak. A tiny colorful salad sitting on top there like a hat. Oil only, the baby leaves wilt with an acid. Maybe a few drops right at serving.

[microgreens meal]

Microgreen videos are odd. The people are odd and so are their videos. If you grow microgreens then you risk becoming odd too. It amounts to pretending you are in the First Grade thereabouts and planting seeds on top of dirt in a tray. Watering. Covering. Waiting a few days and observing what happens. That it takes so long to explain is annoying yet these guys begin assuming you never heard of such things.

This one is a regular small farm in New York that sought to make more of their resources by extending their season. It shows nothing you cannot imagine but somehow I find it interesting anyway. I have a thing for farms.


The other videos might put you off the idea. I sense a not-so-vague anti-Hippy vibe around here. So do not watch the woman here and avoid this guy and do not watch this man explain what you already knew when you were five, because it will anger you.

Seeds are expensive by the pound. More expensive by the ounce and gram.

Johnny's Microgreen seeds.
Todds Microgreen seeds. (these prices look better)
The Sprout People

I would avoid mixes for convenience. Screw convenience. The seeds will germinate at different intervals, best to keep that divided so you can give them better haircuts or you'll be goofing around with lackluster germinators.

Think of all the fun you can have with pounds and pounds of seeds, over and over and over.

4 comments:

Palladian said...

I hate what nouvelle cuisine did to food presentation. I despise all those stupid little piles and stacks of food on giant, mostly empty plates, often spattered with some day-glow colored fluid that's been ejaculated out of a squeeze bottle.

But you deserve what you got, buying a Gordon Ramsay book in the first place.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

The standard advice these days seems to be to make sure you eat foods of different colors.

I grow geraniums from seed.

Never ate one, though.

deborah said...

Interesting vid. Looks tedious on a large scale. They must haul in the dough to make it worth while.

Chip, have you done this?

It reminds me of a survival vid I saw once. A guy was showing how to grow sprouts in gallon jars as a protein source.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Palladian is right. Nothing wrong with sprouts, but eating a spoonful with a tiny bit of protein is good if you are on a starvation diet.