Saturday, July 7, 2018

Five years, eh?

I have certainly had my moments here, but now I want to focus on the "Levity" part of this blog. I don't always succeed, but it's good to have goals.

Based on Chicklet's comment earlier I took a look at pictures from five years ago and found some pictures of a couple of sweetgum (Liquidambar styracaflua) burls that I sawed in 2013. They weren't exactly anniversary ready at that point, but I did turn one giant bowl out of the largest burl and sold it to a woman who lives in Dublin Ireland.


It was a beautiful bowl and I doubt if I will ever find another burl like that one.


I finish turned it after it had dried for two years. It really was a stunning piece of work.

Today's sunset:


It was a great day, I got a surprise visit from a couple of friends who live far away and I even took a road trip to Capital City. How about that, eh?

Oh yeah, I woke up at 4:30 this morning and while I was out in the backyard I heard barred owls for the first time this season - perhaps they have been here the whole time and I just slept through their hooting.




12 comments:

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Thank you guys and gals.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

That is a great piece of wood and wood working.

And good work from all of you at Lem's Place.

windbag said...

Love the pictures of your handiwork. It's always impressive. I played that piece, arranged for piano, for a recital many, many years ago.

ricpic said...

Oy Vey

That bowl's good but the sunset's better,
No use competin' with Mother Netter.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Mother Nature, via the sun, gave Sixty the wood to make the bowl with. And the power to run the tools.

Circle of Beauty!

The Dude said...

Thanks for the kind words, one and all.

I think there must bee some fires burning out west - our sunrises and sunsets have been unusually colorful lately.

deborah said...

Perfection. What is the diameter?

XRay said...

Great post,Sixty. Thanks,Lem.

rcommal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Dude said...

Deborah, that bowl was close to 16" in diameter and about 7" deep - very large compared to most that I make. It is also the largest burl bowl I ever turned.

deborah said...

That is grand. Your sweet gum burl bowls just melt my heart.

I'm Full of Soup said...

Wow five years guys.

Great job Chip and Lem! Thanks for all the great and interesting posts. It is hard to believe it is five years and damn if I could remember what the dustup was about at the other place. I still visit there but don't comment as often as I once did.

Thanks also to your other co-bloggers.