Monday, July 16, 2018

Princess Bubblegum makes a sandwich



I don't know why I laughed so hard.

Part of it is the thing being translated in Russian. Part of it is the world the writers created is so off the wall. Another part is something so odd being so popular, this clip received 995,500 views so far and provoked 1,230 comments, also off the wall. Fans adore this cartoon, and the fans in comments are a bit weird, and they get put off when a scientific character who argues against magic with wizards who practice magic, then uses magic to make bread. I split a gut when the cinnamon bun says, "peace out" and walks away, imagining that translated into Russian. The success of this cartoon kills me. 

I would be a terrible standup comedian. 

I don't know why I think some things are funny. And I haven't a clue why other people think things are funny. I was thinking today, people laugh in all the wrong places. 

The checkout guy was taciturn. He was not to be amused. I have no idea what his bag was. Ungracious. Uncommunicative. Unresponsive. Strictly business. Rather slow. Then he told me the cost and I said, "I accept the terms." A thing that I say, it's not intended to be funny,  and he cracked up laughing. Both of them did. 

What's funny about that? 

I told the young woman at work when the forklift ran over my foot it hurt so bad so quickly I was traumatized. She died laughing at that. I was offended at her laughing, I was actually physically hurt, I said, "Look, it hurt. I nearly passed out." And she doubled her laughing, and now I'm really mad at her for responding so inappropriately, so I said, "Stop laughing it's not funny." And at this point she's in hysterics. Inappropriately. "Shut up! Or I'll rip your arm off and toss it across the room." She had an artificial arm and an opposite artificial leg. She had no business even working, but she is the persevering type person and the idea of me saying I'd rip off her arm was actually plausible and hilarious to her. She was always fussing with snapping her arm on. She never had anyone say such a mean thing and she thought it was all terribly funny, me complaining in extreme about injury so minor to her, and my anger with her culminating in my crude threat were all somehow hilarious to her. I can never forget this minor event because there was nothing funny about it, yet she was falling all over the place out of control laughing. That was decades ago and I still don't understand it.

7 comments:

Dad Bones said...

Sometimes we have to laugh at things that scare us. It helps keep us going but I understand your resentment because years ago I fell backwards off a step ladder while working on a job. When I landed on my back I was afraid I'd hurt myself seriously and was afraid to move. I looked up and saw my coworker grinning and then laughing after I was able to get up. I don't mind being the butt of the joke. It was my carelessness that put me there but you'd think he would have waited until he was sure I was okay before having a laugh.

MamaM said...

First thought after reading the post, before Dad Bones, was: What is laughter?

First intuitive response before checking the internet for more: It's a release of emotional energy. A way to reconcile, handle or accept an incongruity.

I couldn't believe she handed her WonderSandwich to the tasteless cinnamon bun.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I laughed at both the comic and your "I accept the terms" comment. I did not think the forklift running over your foot was funny.

I laughed at the comic most for the Cinnamon Bun digesting the "perfect" sandwich without tasting it and then spewing it all over the Princess Cook. Haven't you ever prepared a meal and felt that way after someone ate it?

MamaM said...

SonM has been working a job in Calgary and was able to attend and enjoy parts of the Calgary Stampede this week.

His report back on the sheep herding event made me laugh. He said the Border Collies appeared to be more high strung and harder to settle than the Australian Sheep Dogs, barely able to contain themselves while awaiting their turn to get on the job and get 'er done. However, nipping at the heels of the sheep is grounds for disqualification during the competition, even though it's a most effective way to get dull, laggardly and recalcitrant sheep to move. He laughed when he told me there were several skilled dogs who ended up disqualified after they gave in to the urge to administer a directive nip. The dog that made everyone laugh in wonder, awe and horror, was the one who'd rounded up the sheep in record time and almost had them all in the pen when one unexpectedly squirted out of the group and raced away with the dog hot after it, only to grab it by the wool at the throat, take it down and start dragging the dang thing back to the pen! Definitely a non-PC and disqualifying but highly focused, effective and totally natural application of skill and strength to a problem requiring a solution.

The Dude said...

Just another reason why I admire and respect Border Collies so darned much. Best dogs ever!

MamaM said...

Going back years, RoseanneRoseannadanna, mentioned in the comments up-post was one who made me laugh.

deborah said...

"I don't know why I laughed so hard."

Because it reminded you of you and all your 'spermentin' :)