Monday, July 16, 2018

bnri

Scribes of scribes of scribes of scribes. That's me.

I'm pouring through James Allen's Middle Egyptian Literature with a magnifying glass. Literally. And I'm using expand view of Kindle version. He discusses the mistakes that early scribes make while copying stories from previous scribes. Places where ancients were using damaged copies and had to make guesses. Spots where modern linguists encounter the same problems. And word for word the subject is dissected, syllable by syllable, phoneme by phoneme, all picked apart with linguistic grammatical tweezers.

While doing that, and getting their results to printing avoiding their own errata is impossible. Apparently.

Allen tells his readers the blank spot in the text being used is "bnri," the solution was provided by later texts.

It's the part where the character in the story is saying all the good things that his adopted patron provided, "and many sweets would be made for me." The text reads "me would be made for [blank] many." The sign for "many" is a little gecko. It's the cutest little thing but a bitch to draw on account of all its tiny fingers.You don't want this word to come up very often when you're drawing these by hand.

Here's Allen explaining what goes in the blank space in the text.


I made it show large so you can see the little pictures. This is the problem I'm having with both copies of his book. Everything is too small to appreciate without serious help.

He wrote it backwards. It's printed backwards. It reads "determinative for plural, determinative for sweet root, i, r, b over n."

This is how it should look.


 

Gawl. Do I have to do everything myself if I want it done right?  

That reminds me of another thing where someone laughed in the wrong place. While George and Paul were learning how to make pizza dough, I turned my back briefly to get the camera. I had only turned around for two seconds and Paul slathered the pizza with 4X the amount of sauce, dumping the whole thing onto the pizza, soaking the whole thing ridiculously with no sense of proportions whatsoever. 

I said what my father would have said, "I turned my back for two seconds. Must I do everything if I want it done right?" That wasn't intended to be funny but both guys giggled hopelessly. They both backed away from the work surface to give space for their shaking. 

"Should I put it back?"

"YES!"

4 comments:

edutcher said...

Sure it's not a little geico?

(had to)

MamaM said...

I had only turned around for two seconds and Paul slathered the pizza with 4X the amount of sauce, dumping the whole thing onto the pizza, soaking the whole thing ridiculously with no sense of proportions whatsoever.

I regard that type of experience as an "ego state" transaction in which the younger part of the self that didn't get to experiment to his heart's content, or learn consequences through exploration, hijacked the adult standing at the table and did what he longed to do or mess around with in childhood but wasn't allowed to touch or try and wasn't guided through the process or informed by consequences. Which could also account for why ChipA's father's voice came out with one of the responses he heard and filed away when he goofed around as a child to find out what worked and what didn't.

What stood out in the post on Maureen Dowd, was how much exploration ChipA and his brothers were allowed to experience in childhood, as creates the framework for understanding how life works and and how to creatively, productively, effectively enter into and engage in adult behavior and responsibilities.

At the end the one bringing the voice of reason to the table, along with the knowledge of how things need to be done for a good outcome, accepted the laughter, firmly affirmed the potential solution offered by the one who realized he overdid and then used the incident as a life story. All good!

I also see that type of ego state transaction displayed in some of the over-the-top outrage directed at Trump, with four times the amount of sauce being dumped, soaking the whole thing ridiculously with no sense of proportions whatsoever and little to no idea or practice in putting something useful or digestible together.

rcommal said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkGXWq0wHYo

rcommal said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRVv2b-hL_0