Friday, July 6, 2018

Terrine chocolate

Brownies. Except a lot more actual chocolate and a little more eggs and real cream, and a lot less flour.

This video is to relax you. Because she actually chops all the chocolate in real time to little bitty bits. and the steps are quiet and relaxing with no words or music.

The recipe looks Western, (chocolate, eggs, butter, flour) while the aesthetic is Japanese.

Whoops. She baked it by centigrades. That means we can't make it.



You don't have to heat chocolate very much to get it to melt. It melts at a range below your body temperature by 10°-15°. Eggs cook through a range of temperatures, first the whites thicken (140°) then  the whites become tender solid (150°), then the yolks set (158°), the whole egg sets at 165°. Egg whites are actually complex with a wide range of cooking times, but if eggs are cooked at boiling temperature  for too long then they become rubbery because the proteins continue to squeeze out the water. This cook here has a delicate touch.


Parchment paper is sold at your grocery store. Or here.

Cooks who make a lot of terrines recommend the collapsable kind.

I'm getting particular and arrogant as all h-e-double hell sticks about food.  I realized I've begun judging everything for its food value. This is real food. All basic ingredients, except both chocolate and sugar are processed fairly highly. It's very sophisticated. But they don't have to be. You can get less refined versions of both.

I used to love brownies. But now I view them as chocolate sludge. I don't know if that's fair.

The 4th I passed a food truck vending pizza by the slice and as I walked by I was thinking I'd have to be starving. I thought, your pizza is the shadow of my pizza, like the one I just made, and it cannot be beat. No bragging now. Just fact. I make the best pizzas that I've tasted because I've honed my skill to my taste. And that automatically makes me critical of all other pizzas. Which is overcome when I'm hungry.

If I made this chocolate terrine, probably in one my little bread pans, it'd be for the ladies around here, or for a party. I would not make this for myself. Its food value too low.

2 comments:

bagoh20 said...

OT, but this is a great use of photoshop.

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/24d46252e3d45b52d7a5339cbc513367aa74d1419bd8f45cf6c19c3431b609dd.jpg

XRay said...

Those were some great looking yolks.