Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Whose that girl running in the rain?



She costarred with the Duke in one of my favorite movies. A star in many westerns she was an excellent actress who had a pretty good career. Unfortunately her demons got the best of her. The Devil got this Angel in the end.

I have been teasing my mother in law that I am going to set up a blog for her. You see everytime we watch an old movie she tells me how the actress died. This one had cancer. That one caught a heart attack. The other one was in a car crash and her head was cut off. So I am going to start a blog for her. "How did she Die?"

Sort of a morbid Whose that Girl. So whose that Angel? She is going to be the first post.

6 comments:

edutcher said...

Angel kinda gave it away.

I was going to say Vera Miles, but she is still going strong at 88. Natalie Wood popped into my head, but wrong look.

Then I cheated and looked at Troop's fave flix.

Stewart Granger saw her first, Ernie Kovacs wanted her for the Nairobi Trio, Fabian thought she was swell, but Sam McCord made an honest woman of her.

MamaM said...

"For my first test they put me into an evening gown. I had never even worn high heels before--or makeup of any kind. To say I was self-conscious is understatement plus. A week later they cast me in a Henry Aldrich picture, wearing a bathing suit and a transparent raincoat. It had been raining and there was a large puddle across from the studio commissary where the scene was to be shot. Of course they had to do it just as the sets broke for lunch and such stars as Alan Ladd, Bing Crosby and others were passing by.

"There I was trying to speak my lines while holding an umbrella which kept slipping from my nervous fingers. To this day I refuse all bathing suit scenes in public or private."


Thirty six is young to be dying of liver damage from alcoholism, along with stomach contents aspiration.

She was 21 when she started drinking on the set of The Uninvited to ease her paralyzing stage fright and lack of confidence.

For your MIL's scrap-blog (spoiler alert):
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/4040490/wisconsin_state_journal/

edutcher said...

So whose the girl?

The Dude said...

Stage fright is a terrible thing. I gave up playing piano due to it.

The guy in The Band drank himself to death due to it.

I prefer my plan.

Trooper York said...

That is the lovely Gail Russell who starred with the Duke in two of my favorite flicks. "The Angel and the Badman" and the "Wake of the Red Witch."

She is particularly luminous in "The Angel and the Badman" as the Quaker girl who tames the gunslinger.

edutcher said...

See, I went with the list on your profile and went from there.