Saturday, July 21, 2018

Here we go again!

The NFL National Anthem Debate is alive and well again - can’t believe it! Isn’t it in contract that players must stand at attention, hand on heart? The $40,000,000 Commissioner must now make a stand. First time kneeling, out for game. Second time kneeling, out for season/no pay!

The President is in mid season form even before the beginning of training camp. The new NFL anthem policy lasted about as long as the Jets Super Bowl hopes. The policy basically had two options. First they could take the cowards way out. Not come out of the dressing room at all. Or they could set up their own policy if the players came on the field and knell down to disrespect the flag and our nation. The Miami Dolphins were the first team to set up a policy that they would fine or suspend players who decided to knell. The Players Union shit a brick and of course the NFL dropped to their knees to blow them.


So next season it will be more of the same. Knelling players. Ratings decline. Fans walking away.

I used to be a rabid Giants fan as you might remember. I had season tickets. Went to every home game in the last two Super Bowl seasons. I would even take a trip out to training camp every other year. Now I haven't watched a game since this bullshit started. I don't think about it. Unless I see a blog post about it. Then I get pissed off all over again. Their are millions of fans just like me. Formerly rabid fans and viewers who have turned into people who hate the NFL. Do they give a shit? Not a bit.





9 comments:

edutcher said...

The NFL is limping along and can't take another bad season. People don't like the idea of cheering for a bunch of privileged, arrogant, ungrateful thugs and Trump is making sense.

I've read a lot of Lefty businessmen pull this nonsense so they have street cred with all their Lefty friends. Granted, a lot of these teams are just loss leaders, written off on tax forms, but, for TV and elsewhere, there's a point of diminishing returns.

If any of these people had any sense, they'd do what Trump says because their main complaint, that he's vulgar and one of the crowd means he knows what the people who pay for the cheap seats are thinking.

Troop said it better last year, but it's still true.

windbag said...

I'm done with the NFL. Same with ESPN. I don't care what they broadcast, I won't tune in. The NFL should have nipped this in the bud when it first surfaced. In the words of General Douglas MacArthur: "...appeasement but begets new and bloodier wars..."

Trooper York said...

What gets me is that so many of the fans I know have dropped the sport. You would think that would worry them. But they are so arrogant that they don't care. It does amaze me.

windbag said...

My business model never included "Piss off my customers to the fullest extent possible." Shows what I know.

Leland said...

I saw my first commercial for the NFL season during Fox Saturday Night Baseball, which had commentators that can cure insomnia. The commercial was as interesting to me as a new Lifetime original movie.

ricpic said...

Roger Goodell must make a stand? And put that 40 mil salary in jeopardy? Not going to happen.

Not going to happen because the charge of RACISSS, which would immediately be thrown at him, can put anything and anybody in jeopardy in our society as currently constituted.

As to the 40 mil itself, that doesn't bother me. Why? Because there have always been and will always be people like the extremely clubbable Goodell who work their way into extremely cushy extremely overpaid positions in the clubs (every established organization is a club) that so value such types.

The Dude said...

Look on the bright side, Troop, at least you weren't a dog-ass Jets fan.

chickelit said...

Yahoo news is out there saying that the kneeling thing is all on Trump. The NY Giants owner is sucking up to his players. There is absolutely zero concern on his part about losing Giants fans. Zero. Unbelievable.

ndspinelli said...

Jason Whitlock has some great rants on this topic.