Sunday, July 22, 2018

Peace In The Valley



Everyday the wife and I pull an affirmation card. It is from deck of cards with a word or saying on it. It might be "I am Strong" or simply "Think." It is our little start to the day with our coffee where we sit and plan out what we are doing. It gives us something to think on or sometimes something to aspire too during a busy day.

Today I pulled a card and it said "Peace." The perfect card for a Sunday afternoon.

I have been away from the Internet the past few weeks. I haven't been feeling well but more importantly I am just tired of the constant nonsense that Chip describes in his last post. The non stop idiocy of the uninformed. You get it at family barbecues. At the check out line. At the store. Everywhere. It is exhausting.

I am tired of fighting with ignorant people. So I am trying something different. I am meditating. Gardening. Cooking. Writing. Resting. Trying to find some peace.

I know I get riled up when I see a blog post about something like the NFL or the Deep State attacking the President. I might blow off some steam now and again. But I have decided that I have to be more dedicated in finding something. That something?

Peace.



13 comments:

ricpic said...

That's a nice photo. It's not enough for a space to be green, you also have to have the protection of trees and bushes, like in the picture. Perfection is if the garden is walled and a fountain is tinkling -- paradise.

Trooper York said...

We worked really hard on the garden this year. The pot garden in the left side of the photo in particular.

We found all of these colorful pots in Home Goods and got some plants from various Supermarkets. They were all dying and dirt cheap but we brought them back to life.

The Dude said...

Hope you find a way to feel better, Troops.

You know what grinds my gears? It's dweebs making the "peace" sign. Makes me want to pound their smarmy little hides into the pavement. But I don't. I just return the peace sign with almost precisely the same number of digits raised. Ah, all better.

chickelit said...

Is that the same concrete jungle backyard that you had a few years ago, the one with all the thorny roses? If so, wow!

I am very Leary of the news media these day: tune out and turn off, drop out.

edutcher said...

I look at the fake news and I smile. Desperation is what I see.

Now the FISA stuff is coming out. The Helsinki treason thing flopped (yuge surprise). Alexandra whomever is a privileged jerk, a faculty lounge radical.

It's all just too funny for me.

The Eminent Mr Surber says this will be the best 8 years of our lives. For those who weren't around for Eisenhower, he's probably right. For those who were, he's probably right.

MamaM said...

Peace be with you, Trooper! And also with Lisa.

XRay said...

You've the right idea me thinks.

ndspinelli said...

Meditation and prayer help bring me peace. You deserve peace, Trooper. But no one gives it to you. Finding it is a solo endeavor.

Dad Bones said...

I could never get any peace by thinking about it and meditation is too good a word for me so I'll just say that I enjoy turning off the thinking process completely to help me recharge. It's not so easy. After a few thoughtless moments the ever intrusive mind cuts in and tells itself how wonderful it is for not thinking which of course is more thinking.

Like nd and some others here, Trooper, I'll bet you know some ways. Good luck with them.

Trooper York said...

The meditation angle can be hard but I am finding it very useful in my old age. I try not to be the angry Irish guy anymore. I thought I had a handle on it years ago but it started to come back so I had to choke it out.

Now I try and relax and not let things get under my skin anymore. It's hard and it is a work in progress. As Nick says nobody can do it for you. You have to figure it out yourself.

edutcher said...

Good for you.

And, yes, it takes time. Stretching out in the backyard in the shade on a warm day is one of the best ways to find that time.

Sometimes it's not what you think about, but not thinking about anything at all.

windbag said...

Now I try and relax and not let things get under my skin anymore.

I should give that a try sometime soon.

deborah said...

I love your yard, Troop, it is cozy like mine.