Friday, August 11, 2017

Crazy by Gnarls Barkley interpreted into ASL by YouTube member storm Fx

I love this so much I could just squeeze my own guts out. I cannot believe that I haven't shown this already. I searched the posts here and don't see that I have.

Before viewing, here's some gloss.

Look for how he says right off "lost my mind" like "connection dissolves." There is no "lost" and there is no "mind" shown.

I wouldn't even think of that.

"There was something so pleasant about that place. Even your emotions had an echo" seems to be shown as "satisfied, feeling, my feeling, your feeling."

The therapist says, "Think twice, warn warn warn warn warn."

My favorite part, "who do you, who do you, who do you, who do you think you are, you there," really is shown that way. It's perfect.

And my second favorite parts are "just like you" and "I want to be like them" he uses the same technique of "same-o, same-o" first between himself and the doctor and then between himself and "those out there." It's very effective both directions.

Lastly, his playing the part of himself and the therapist and the guy in the cell writing on the walls is just splendid.

It's all very creative and very well done. Please enjoy this wonderful expression as much as I do.


3 comments:

ricpic said...

It's all an indulgence. Being "crazy" is an indulgence. Going to a therapist is an indulgence. In former, leaner ages, people understood that life was hard. Grin and bear it. And they did. That's all.

Jim in St Louis said...

Profoundly deaf people must experience music in such a totally unique way. People who sign/interpret must hear music in such a totally unique way as well.

We are big theater goers and there is usually a signer off to one side. I'm guessing that the deaf audience is usually tiny. Except for when they did "The Miracle Worker" last season at the Rep. Big crowd of deaf people, (who applaud by doing jazz hands). The key moment in the play is Helen at the pump and she makes the connection between finger-spelling w-a-t-e-r, and the concept or meaning of water- and she drags up her unused voice with a gutteral 'wa-wa'. It is a huge dramatic movement, makes people weepy even, But unreal too, because if Helen was truly making the connection it would be in her existing world of silence, and as the deaf person she was I don't think she would associate it with years ago baby-talk.

I liked the video very much- since music for hearing people is more that just vibrations in the air- its emotion and feeling and mood. So I really like creative interpretations that try to re-create that emotion and feeling and mood.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

Excellent music video. Better than most.