Tuesday, August 22, 2017

dimpled non-stick pans

One of my brothers sent me a twelve inch pan that he likes using himself. He likes it because it is heavy aluminum and distributes heat well. It heats up quickly and it cleans easily.

I don't like odd cookware. My brother comes up with the strangest things. The surface is dimpled. Now how weird is that? Why would they even do that? I resisted accepting this pan. James knows that about me and he wishes it wasn't so.

James gave instructions on cleaning when he burns things in his pan. He uses a fingernail cleaning brush to get into the dimples. (My nails are so short a brush is ridiculous.)

Right off the bat I burned what I was cooking. But instead of scrubbing the pan as instructed, I added water to the pan and deglazed it as you do making a sauce. It took less than a minute. Since it heats up so quickly the cleaning was a snap. The burns rinsed right out. No soap. No scrubbing.

We both learned quickly to use the pan at greatly reduced heat.

I told my brother all this. He was so pleased to hear I overcame my resistance that he sent me two more pans. Now I have two twelve inch pans and one ten inch pan.

For myself the ten inch is more useful. That's the way it goes, I have two of the less useful pans and one of the more useful pan. It is now my go-to pan. Boom. Straight to the top. It's the best most useful pan that I own. It's the easiest to clean pan that I own. And I'm all for ease.

James told me he bought them at Costco.

He likes to drive. I don't. I'd buy mine through Amazon, however the way Bezos is going with his Washington Post and with his enduring private war with Trump over taxation and his silent unrecognized war with Trump supporters, I'm up to considering driving around for a pan.

So far I've made two omelets using this pan. The ten inch is slightly too big for that. I could use another ten inch pan and an eight inch pan mostly for omelets.

The thing is, their ceramic dimpled surface is so slippery I cannot fold and roll an omelet out the pan as accustomed. It's too slippery. The entire mass just slides all over the pan when I try to catch an edge and fold it over the filling and it will not roll out as it should sort of like an egg burrito. It just slides around. It's fun playing but I really need some friction. So I have to contrive a new way of folding and rolling and tucking and fixing to get the right shape on the plate. The pan is fantastic for omelet cooking and poor for omelet shaping. I think it's worth the delightful problem of shaping. I'd much rather have it slipping and sliding than have it sticking. It is by far the better of two opposite problems.

I notice Amazon is all over the board with pricing. I notice too there are non-dimpled versions, and another color, a darker gray and not white ceramic surface. They have metal handles so they can go into the oven and they are dishwasher safe. I've run a scratch pad over mine but without any real need for rubbing or scratching. I must say, so far, these pans are rather amazing.

I cannot account for why other reviewers think differently. I must assume they're just stupid. They probably refuse to learn to turn down the heat. I don't know. I didn't read them. I don't have patience for people who contrive reasons to not like the things that I like. It's so simple, just stop burning things.

No link. The pans come individually and in sets. The cost varies widely depending on type, size, and number of pans. And Amazon isn't the only place to get these. And Costco puts them on sale.

The name is Greenpan. I look for "dimpled." Even though that's still very strange.

(You can get dimple impressions on your pancakes with these pans. They impressed dimples on ice cream cones and on fondant potatoes. So the dimples are not necessarily disconcerting.)


You should buy one.




No comments: