Sunday, June 24, 2018

Printer ink

Such a major pain in the butt.

The printer is hardly ever used. The ink cartridges cannot be kept in the printer or they will dry out. So after each use the two cartridges, one for black, the other for colors, are removed, Scotch tape placed over the exposed electronic bits and the exposed ink dispenser, as they are when they're new, put in a plastic sandwich bag and placed in the refrigerator until the next time the printer is needed.

The colors are not true so replacements ordered. These things are expensive as f.

The printing project has a two day window. The cartridges arrived on time. Put into the printer and nothing. No test marks, no marks whatsoever. The old cartridges work, but poorly. The new cartridges nothing. In order to have the project done, I hopped in the truck and drove to Office Max and bought two more cartridges. They worked brilliantly.

Off to Amazon to leave a scathing review.

Then I thought, why not just tell the vendor what happened and give them a chance to respond?

At Amazon, "please limit your message to 4,000 characters."

That again!

Fine. I'll write like Hemingway's terse war messages.

"Please allow two days for response."

This was late at night. They responded in twenty minutes.

"Sorry this happened. We'll send replacements to you and refund the full amount immediately."

!

They're paying me back twice. I thought now I must leave a positive review but not mention the details because telling the story like this suggests ideas to morally weak for fraud.

Oops.

Please don't do that.

11 comments:

edutcher said...

Too bad the cloud can't do your printing for you.

I do a lot more printing for The Blonde than I do for me, so I do understand your dilemma.

Maybe you should print out your posts so you can frame them.

Trooper York said...

Someone once asked what is the most expensive thing in the world.

One guy said diamonds. Another said gold. I said printer ink. Pound for pound the most expensive fucking thing in the world.

windbag said...

I wanted to print some photos I had taken, so I asked a friend, who's a professional photographer, if I could pay him to print them for me. He said he bought a printer, but sold it, because he couldn't afford the ink. He suggested I try Mpix. They're great, and cheap. I shudder to think what they spend on ink.

The Dude said...

I copy my pictures to a thumb drive and carry them over to the Wal*Mart - I get instant prints made for 39 cents each.

rhhardin said...

I'll email the merchant and say what's wrong but never accept a replacement.

That's taking one for the team, and assuming they need to know what's wrong but it would be a suspicious message if you got something for it.

I stopped using my printer almost immediately because of the expense of dried out cartridges.

ColoradoJim said...

I generally just use Walmart to print out any photos since I rarely print color photos. I also switched to a laser printer for b/w printing. The toner lasts much longer and no dried ink problems. I have not used mpix but they have interesting ink and paper choices for printing out that special photo you took.

windbag said...

I use Wal-Mart for 3X5s that I'm putting into photo albums. I'm old school on that. I much prefer to sit and flip through a picture album than to sit at my desk, clicking through a slideshow. Mpix is great for larger photos that I'm going to frame. The quality isn't even close.

Chip Ahoy said...

Do these places do labels?

The Dude said...

Oh, they will label you alright!

AllenS said...

I buy my cartridges at WalMart for my hp psc 2175v which is a printer - scanner - copier. I've copied/printed thousands of times.

deborah said...

My niece recently said Amazon prints pics at nine cents each.