Saturday, June 30, 2018

PragerU interrogates beachgoers about 4th of July

This is Will Witt. We like to think they asked scores of people then edited out the ones that answered knowledgeably.



To scare dogs. 

I heard nearby fireworks last night and dogs even more close went nuts, and I thought, come on, take care of your dogs. Surely, you hear both those things.

One day in the backyard I was reading (Aztec, Gary Jennings) and nearly sleeping when a firecracker went off a few blocks away and I think that I heard the report like a dog does. I was startled by two sounds it makes, and my immediate thought was, so that's how she hears it. And I understood the how "kapow" is the onomatopoeia, I could almost see the sound waves, the precise point of origin like a pin on a map exploding nearby then the wall of sound suddenly RIGHT ON YOU, an extremely aggressive assault in sound with palpable physical quality, and I understood why my dog is so terrified. There is no escaping the attack. It's the sound of an overpowering direct attack, right at you. I felt tremendous sympathy for my dog who felt so helpless. I had to create a safe place for her, a shelter for her to hide, deeply as she could go but still home. For several days. The cool basement was farthest she could go, with her security blanket and toys and a radio set to the classic station, KVOD, and just hope they didn't play Sousa.

4 comments:

ricpic said...

What're the hot girls doing on blankets alone?!

edutcher said...

Dogs always have a fallout shelter.

They also have a place to cool off.

B Treasure Dog always liked the linoleum.

ndspinelli said...

I had a windowless room below the garage. It was where I kept files and other stuff. It was connected to my windowless office. We had a Springer Spaniel that was neurotic as hell. When ever it was storming or during the 2 fucking month firework season in Wisconsin we would send Coco to the "panic room." She knew the words and would race downstairs.

Chip Ahoy said...

That's sweet.