Sunday, June 17, 2018

Dear Dad


Dear Dad,

I just wanted to write to you to tell you how I am faring out here in Hollywood. It has been a tough go but I have finally landed a part in a picture. It is a very small part but I will do my best as you have always taught me to do. I won't get any credit. I am just what they call an extra. I am in a crowd scene but it is pretty important so it will definitely be in the picture.

It is very exciting. The film stars Claude Rains and that sweater girl. You might have heard of her. Lana Turner. She was discovered in Scwabs drugstore. She is very pretty but not very nice.

Most of the other actors are very kind to someone like me just starting out. I met Elisha Cook who you might not know but is a very famous character actor. He has been in many movies and is a great actor. I hope people as many people will know me as they know him. But I don't think I will ever be that famous.

The politics of this movie are right up your ally. It is about the rich people taking advantage of the little guy. I know you and your New Deal friends will really like it.

Dad I hope you are taking care of Mom. I know she can be very strong in her faith but she only does it because she loves you. She has written me to say that you have begun drinking again. You promised me that you would stop. Or at least take it easy and not be a burden on her. I can't help from far away. I can send you a few dollars which I enclose in this envelope. Please use it wisely.

Dad I love you. You should know that your example is always with me. I get along with people because I follow your example. A smile and a joke and a happy story always seems to put people at ease. You taught me that.

Please take care of yourself and Mom. I will write to you again soon.

You loving son
Ronnie (the fat little Dutchman)

4 comments:

ndspinelli said...

Did you pull an all nighter?

edutcher said...

Was that his first role as Brass Bancroft, T-Man?

Trooper York said...

No he was a sort of an extra. He is not in the credits at all. I thought it was interesting that he was in a movie with a young and luscious Lana Turner.

Trooper York said...

I put it on a timer nick. You can schedule stuff in advance.