Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Ah, summer...

Long hot days, plenty of sunshine so I can work as much as I care to, and by golly, I am gittin' 'er done.

Today I started with some boards that I sawed out of some slabs of silver maple yesterday:


I planed them down and sawed them to width and length - once I finish sanding them they will become cutting boards like this one:


I created a nice heap of chips and dust:


And because it wasn't hot enough I burned that pile this afternoon. Then it was just about right.


Then we had a nice sunset. All in all a good start to the summer.




5 comments:

MamaM said...

I haven't heard Nestea mentioned in years.

The Dude said...

Yeah, that was a Johnny Carson joke from back in the '80s, as near as I can tell. Hiyo!

AllenS said...

How do you make boards, 60? Do you have a sawmill, or just a chainsaw.

The Dude said...

I use the chainsaw to cut the slabs into pieces which then resaw on my bandsaw, which can saw boards up to 11-1/2" wide. So the tree is cut into slabs with my chainsaw, after drying for a couple of years those slabs are cut into manageable sized pieces, again with the chainsaw, then I saw boards with my bandsaw. Today I sand. Have I mentioned how little I enjoy sanding?

My bandsaw is a Hitachi resaw bandsaw model B-600A that I bought in late '91 or early '92 - it has been a workhorse and I have replaced all kinds of parts on it over the years, including the motor, but it keeps doin' the job so I hope I never have to get another.

Dad Bones said...

Like that song. These are the only days we have.