Wednesday, June 20, 2018

sketches, beer labels

I suggested labels for Paul's and George's beer and Paul said, "What do you think about not having labels?"

"No! You must have labels."

This seemed like an extra unnecessary pain in the butt to Paul. It's not his sort of thing. So I left a message saying I bought labels. The label on the beer in my refrigerator is 2"x2" but the only labels I could find were 4"x2". No problem those can be trimmed.

He didn't respond.

Then I messaged to say I accidentally bought 2 packages of labels and now I have 20x more labels than needed. No response. Then I messaged to say I bought ink cartridges for the printer. No response.

I'm sensing that not responding is his way of indicating he's not interested. He cannot tell me "don't do that. I don't want labels."

So I drew a few labels and messaged him. No response. Then I drew a few more and messaged him again. No response. Drew more. No response. Drew more. No response Drew more, and now they're just ridiculous pictures with no relevance whatsoever. No response. Drew more silly pictures. No response. Drew more. Then, "LOL! I like the one with the bee and wheat. What do you think of this name, 'Honey Dew Brew?'"

It's irrelevant what I think. But I think honey dew is the name of a melon, and the word for the secretion that aphids make forced out of their tiny anus that some ants use, actually cultivate aphids for their food source. I'm recalling a page that I drew for a pop-up card, Birthday Cake and the World of Ants. (My sister took this card to work and showed all her coworkers, then to church and showed the whole congregation. She really liked this card.) The ants are a tablet of pages underneath the picnic table, as if living underground, all kinds of ants, and one kind collect honeydew from aphids. And this was before the movie named Ants.

Here is the file of beer label ideas until Paul stopped me.

























3 comments:

chickelit said...

Beer labeling can make or break a beer. I watched Fort Collins’ “Fat Tire” grow from hobby to multi millions on the strength of one iconic label. Out here in SoCal, many an IPA have died from lack of good signage.

I like the Egyptian themed one the best, but you’re not quite there yet. Also, the Deborah inspired kitty cat one is good, if you’re marketing to women which you could do with a wheat beer. Think Blue Moon. Lots of women hate IPA — they say it tastes like butt.

chickelit said...

For the Egyptian label, what does the 965 mean? If it’s important, downsize the font. Also, give those men a little color. I suggest a ruddy complexion. And call the beer “Colorada.” As in Cerveza colorada.

The Dude said...

I would have gone with a "John and Ringo" theme. Yeah, yeah, yeah.