Saturday, March 10, 2018

Bread knife on sale 45% off

Eh. It wasn't expensive to begin with, so not a big deal. Was $22.61 now it's $12.45. It's rated very highly but looking more closely and starting with the 1 star, turns out the reviews are for all Mercer knives, not just this one. High-carbon Japanese steel. That means hand-washing and drying to prevent rust.

Sixty grit said not to mention unless it's a bread knife because that's the only knife that he uses. So, here you go, 10" bread knife.

Know what I bought instead? Four glass mugs that are mason jars with handles. They come with things I don't care about. Lids with holes in the center with straws that fit. Were $35.00 for 4 mugs, now $9.17. So I bought 8. I just now realized these are the small ones.

Want to hear something stupid?

I use these jars all the time. The kind without handles. My friends think this is odd and they queried me extensively. The thing is, I drop a lot of things and break them. That got them off my back about being so no-class. These 16oz size and 32oz size. For drinking and for storing, beans, dried corn, nuts, raisins, figs and the like. Two days ago I was using a 32oz for water, it was on the floor next to a chair, and I dropped my favorite Japanese bowl right on top of it breaking both the bowl and the jar. Glass and ceramic all over the place. And me barefooted.

The thing is I can buy a dozen quart size for $14.00. So breaking one here and there is no gigantic loss, but that was my favorite Japanese bowl. It had little dragonflies painted all over it. This one. Turns out, that too is most easily replaced through Amazon. EBay prices are all over the board. They're nuts.

1 comment:

The Dude said...

Thanks for the heads up Chip. Hand washing is all that I do here. I was going to write that my house doesn't have a dishwasher, but that's not accurate. I am the dishwasher.

But that knife is not stylish enough to replace the one I bought over at the big box store. I like Shun knives from Williams Sonoma and Shen knives from Amazon, in terms of appearance. Maybe I can take out a second mortgage to pay for one of those...