Saturday, March 24, 2018

If you are looking for a Movie this weekend....check out "Chuck"





I really enjoyed this flick. It is the live story of one of my favorite characters Chuck Wepner. The Bayonne Bleeder. Man he hated to be called that.

Chuck was the model for the movie "Rocky." He fought Ali back in  the day. I ran into him once in a disco in Manhattan in the 1970's. I was a punk kid and he was big shit at the time. Later I also ran across him at Jimmy Glenn's bar in Midtown which was a big boxing hangout.

Anyway this movie brought it all back. Boxing. The seventies The shit we used to do back then, The clothes. The cars. The discos. Going to the close circuit fights at the movie house on the Deuce. Man, Memories.

All of that is gone now. Dead as Murphy's dick. Now it is all hipsters and political correctness.

But check out how it used to be. Back in the Day.




5 comments:

Trooper York said...

The Ray Donovan guy who plays Chuck is pretty good. As is the girl from Mad Men and the old guy from Sons of Anarchy. Even dofus comedian Jim Gaffigan does an ok job.

It is available on Showtime for free if you have a subscription.

The Dude said...

Gaffigan is a moderately funny standup comedian. He's a bit low-key for me, and he seems a bit off, somehow. Not like Bill Burr, who would fit in real well around here.

deborah said...

The Wonder Years takes me back to the Seventies, That Seventies Show leaves me cold...no nostalgia for me. I hung with a different crowd, maybe.

Death pockets...

AllenS said...

In the fall of 2001, I made plans to meet some friends from Vietnam for a Veterans Day thing with my unit the 173d Abn Bde in Washington DC. Then 9/11 happened. November when I was in the Minneapolis Airport the place was almost vacant. Getting on the plane it was maybe one fifth full. Maybe not that much. Also on the plane was Scott LaDoux. Remember him from the boxing world? It was a very uneasy feeling, going out there and coming back.

deborah said...

It was a strange time. My son's usual field trip for the fifth grade was canceled. IIRC the next year or so was the Girl Scouts' hundredth anniversary, and I didn't want to go to D.C. for it.