Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Oxalis

Oxalis triangularis.

Look, we're talking Latin already.

Last year at City Floral Greenhouse I asked the woman who looks like a tight young military man where can I find triangularis. She looked at me puzzled. Really puzzled. Another young clerk was standing nearby. I said, "Oxalis."

She immediately goes, "OOOOOOooooh."

I said to the young clerk, "you have to say the magic word."

The masculine woman said, "Yes, you do have to say the magic word."

She turned out to be impressively helpful. She insisted on carrying everything out to the truck and loading it. I said, "you don' have to do this. Besides, I'm parked right in front. That's my truck right there." She said, "That's okay, I want to." She wanted to be with me. Isn't that nice?

They're the purple things.


The little bulbs or rhizomes or corms or whatever they're called, are shaped like bullets. I like to pack them into this rectangular cement pot so they form a tight mass. Apparently they produce new rhizomes in the same growing season but I never managed to save them and replant them. 

This year I bought 60 to stuff into this planter that can hold about 30 with extras put in other planters and 20 to give away to two ladies. The best deal I could find was on eBay. The last time I bought from Amazon some green ones were mixed in with the purple and I didn't like that.

I have the standard Heavenly Blue morning glories covering the railings and crawling up wire trellises for the past few years and I saved a million seeds from last year. And they're cool. But this year I'd like to mix them with white Milky Way ones, another standard variety. 


No comments: