Monday, March 26, 2018

light lemon cheesecake

I made the jiggly cake and failed. It's basically a cream cheese soufflé but I goofed in so many places that mine failed to rise properly and the result is the best cake I've ever made or tasted, and that's no idle hyperbole. I just now finished the last slice and I'm Jones'n to make it again. That never happens.

I have to go out and buy a dozen eggs.

Where I went wrong.

* I mixed half cream cheese and half ricotta just for the heck of it. But only after I discovered a full package of cream cheese in the crisper.  I removed half of the un-mixed ricotta.

* I was careless with egg whites. I used an emersion blender and it's too much volume for that. I really should have dragged out the large mixer.

* I goofed on the egg yolks too. I used all thirteen and once I had the mixture I realized that's way too much. I checked. It's double the number called for.

So I divided that portion of the mixture in half then doubled all the other ingredients. That was really goofy because I was doubling half of both cream cheese and ricotta. My amounts were way off all over the place, salt, butter, everything was affected by that.

* I used 50% flour and 50% corn starch. 50gm/ 50gm. I should have used much less corn starch. 50gm/15gm.

My cake never jiggled, but like I said earlier, that's a female thing. Men like more substantial heaver food. We don't like foam-food, generally speaking. So my compressed cake turned out perfectly for me.

I really do want to try this again immediately. I like having it on hand. I intend to try different versions, from original foam-food, to something more compressed. It really is excellent.

Their versions are vanilla, chocolate, durian fruit, I think. So far I haven't encountered lemon or lime. I used two whole lemons and all the zest, and the flavor is simply fantastic.

The process is easy as a regular soufflé, because that's what it is.

Recommended.




See that stripe on the bottom? That's the best part of all. Honesty, the best chiffon-like texture I've ever had. Like lemon flavored soft-tofu.I made Eagle-brand lemon cream pie several times, and I made cheesecakes several times, and nothing comes close to this. This failure wins. It wins over all cakes and all pies. And there is no crust to mess about with. I forgot to sprinkle powdered sugar over the top, but I'm thinking a strawberry sauce will be excellent. Maybe some blueberries dropped all over the plate.

I'm going to repeat this for a birthday gathering coming up soon and blow people's' minds. 

2 comments:

deborah said...

I love lemon desserts and cookies. I'm thinking of going ultra lazy and making an icebox cake with just cookies and whipped cream and maybe some other crap. Had always heard of them, but didn't realize they were different from a regular cakes. Thinking of using ginger snaps.

Amartel said...

oh, yeah, that's the stuff. Lemon sponge cake. Not jiggly at all. Mid (20th) century baking at it's best. Now I'm hungry.