Monday, March 19, 2018

Jiggly cake

I concluded this is a female thing. Women like spongy food. For the longest time I didn't like soufflés because there is too much air. Too spongy. And I never saw the point of sponge cake.

I also didn't care for cheesecake. Never ordered it because the portions are too small. Then one evening a chef brought two cheesecakes he made to a formal sit-down dinner party served in courses, but by then everyone was too full to eat them. We all groaned, "are you out of your mind?" He insisted we try. He wasn't taking them home. He cut large portions and by the time I was through it felt like I was eating a stick of butter and I realized why they're always served in super thin slices.

So then, this cake has two serious strikes against it. But look, if you want to be around women then you must go along with the things women like. You must be supportive. Imagine the points you can earn by showing women how to do this. Even if you don't care for it yourself.

Come on. Be a sport.



Wow. That's a big cake. Notice it cracked, but that doesn't matter. Also, it's browned evenly. The portion protected by the pan and top portion exposed to dry heat both browned the same.

I believe I'm in love. 

Emmy is adorable. I love the way she casually puts on voices. This silliness is irresistible. I like it because in real life just being around me brings this out in certain other people. They're serious-minded until they're around me. It's automatic. I'll answer in a silly voice then they answer back adopting the same voice. Then it's on. The rest of the evening is taken up with some silly accent. Then all of us are putting on accents, and we stick with them as if our personalities changed. We'll pick a speech impediment and keep talking like that until we have everyone speaking with the same speech disability. We'll slobber our sibilants, for example, give serious responses to genuine stimuli but expressed with slobbered Ss as if that is normal to the extent that new people will think we actually talk that way. That's why I like Emmy. She's delightfully playful this way all by herself. 

And in the end, she masters her jiggly cake.

6 comments:

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Did you notice in the first video, one of the pieces seemed under cooked in the center? I thought it might be a filling, but the other pieces did not have it.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

The Emmy video is great. Very entertaining!

Methadras said...

Evi, I think that's the cheese filling. EIther way, it looks awesome and I want one now.

ricpic said...

There is no point to sponge cake. Except tea. They go so well together. And occasionally the very bland combination of tea and sponge cake is just the ticket.

ampersand said...

I was expecting Samurai Baker.

Amartel said...

Mmmm, lemon sponge cake. The best! Cakey uppercrust with creamy gooey substructure, both liberally infused with massive lemony goodness. Not bland at all. Great, now I'm hungry.