Friday, March 30, 2018

English muffins

They always make it look and sound more difficult than it is. I should find a video that zips through it in one minute with no talking.

I never proof my yeast. Not ever. There's nothing to prove. It's in the freezer and it's always alive until it is gone. Although I do let it get started with sugar and flour, that way there's ten billion more yeast cells to deal with the salt and it's already well on its way.

Although I've experimented with brewer's yeast that I bought downstairs, and there really is a huge difference. One type of brewer's yeast the package says "super fast" and it's a lot slower than grocery store bread yeast. An expensive failed experiment. They've got this all figured out scientifically. 

You don't need to make six muffins. You can go through the simple effort for one. And not have all those stupid English muffins sitting around. And you can allow them to rise right in the pan that you eventually fry them in. Just remove the pan from the burner and crank up the heat so when you place the pan on the burner then the pan absorbs the high heat quickly, then turn it down to a reasonable level. And room temperature is fine for rising. And stirring the wet dough is exactly the same thing as kneading. Both develop the gluten molecules. You can see the gluten developing. The whole thing becomes more stringy right there as you do it. You can form a ball in your hand by pushing in its pretend bellybutton repeatedly. That pulls in the dough from all sides and forms a taught skin, like making a living balloon.

I didn't watch this all the way through. I'm too easily annoyed. 



I've done this quite a lot. Seeing the photos again I see that I'm partial to eggs Benedict and eggs Florentine, and combinations of those, and bacon sandwiches, ham sandwiches, and copies of Egg McMuffins. Oh man. Now I want one of those right now. 

There's a rule. You must cut these things with a fork. Or else the Celtic gods of yore suddenly appear and strike you dead with an oak branch.


25 images follow.





The green things are grapes, not limes.
































No comments: