Tuesday, March 27, 2018

The Leopard Lillies Are Up

Astute readers might recall Sixty Grit's post last fall regarding leopard lillies. Well, I bought some seeds and finally got them to germinate. Tough little boogers. The seed package instructions say:
Place seed inside zip-lock bag with small amount moist growing media, refrigerate 7 days. Sow in cell packs or flats, cover with 1/4 inch soil. Darkness aids germination. Kept at 55-65 F, germination is in 21-60 days.
Mine took the full sixty days. I have gotten 2 out of 6 seeds to germinate and I transferred one outdoors:


Baby steps.

2 comments:

The Dude said...

Those are great plants - I collected seeds from mine last year and it is time to get them in the ground. Or maybe yesterday was. Anyway, I propagate mine every year - they produce lots of seed heads, so one will become many in a fairly short time. They are perennial so once you get them going they sprout out of their rhizomes and there you go.

They are popping up here already. It's a good thing to see.

deborah said...

I'm reminded that about four years ago I collected some daylily seeds. The standard orange and Happy Returns (yellow) and one or two more would have all been cross pollinating. After you plant them it takes two or three years to see what you've come up with...who knows, maybe I have a superstar. I feel the urge to see what they might do!