Thursday, March 7, 2019

Jane Siberry, K. D. Lang singing Calling All Angels

Here is a post that based on past comments you are certain to hate.

These two women fascinate the h-e-double conductor baton sticks out of me, weirdly. I watched a thousand of these Calling All Angels videos yesterday and no two of them are alike. Possibly only ten videos but they are still all different. And that shows the song is mostly extemporized, the lyrics we take as official are actually mostly suggestion to them.

A Portland Secret Society performance is particularly interesting. There are videos from different points of view.
1
2

Through the videos Siberry changes the most as if she's in possession of an unsteady identity, eventually changing her name to Issa (that sounds to me like an idiosyncratic form of Isis), while K. D. Lang holds steady throughout. Lang looks like a plainly dressed stocky man. Yet sings like a beautiful woman. And the respect and affection between the two onstage is palpable. The non-stadium size audiences they perform for adore them.

There is another song with the same title and both songs are covered endlessly. There are hundreds of videos on YouTube with this title but none of them are so good as Siberry and Lang singing together. And now I too love both of these fascinating unusual women. I cannot take my eyes off them. I listen carefully to every note. They have my complete attention as they do the entire audience. Their delivery of the lyrics each time is chilling.

I like this video best because Siberry's hand motions are nearly sign language, the most expressive of all. And K. D. Lang hangs back to watch Siberry, but when she moves forward to support, her voice is just incredible.

This performance also has another hand recording.

5 comments:

ricpic said...

The narcissism, you could cut it with a knife.

Chip Ahoy said...

Really?

:-(

This whole time I was cutting the humility with pinking shears.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

I worship at KD Lang's altar.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

I saw KD in Denver last year - almost exactly one year ago. Her Ingenue 25th anniversary tour.
It' was great. Her voice isn't as young and perfect, but she was great. She's very gay, and out there with it. Whatever. I love her voice and her songs.

Trooper York said...

I know it seems crazy considered who KD Laing is but she is one of my favorite singers ever since she put out "Angel with a Lariat." She is an amazing talent and actually a very nice person for a entertainer and a muff diver.

I went to see her in concert when she was touring with Tony Bennett many years ago in the New Jersey performance arts center which is an outside venue. So we went with me and the wife my mother-in-law and my brother-in-law who wasn't married at the time. So the concert starts with a comedian and this hot looking girl sits down next to my brother-in-law. His Mom goes "you should ask her out she is really pretty." Mainly because she didnn't like his girlfriend who is now his wife (she is right because she is a nasty cunt). Anyhoo they chat for a while and then KD Laing comes out to sing. This Babe gets on top of her seat and starts screaming at the top of her longs.

I just started laughing my ass off.