Friday, March 29, 2019

"I saw obvious discomfort in the women’s faces" or "Why is the vice-president of the United States smelling my hair?”

Fresh off The Cut:
Imagine you’re at work and a male colleague who you have no personal relationship with approaches you from behind, smells your hair, and kisses you on the head. Now imagine it’s the CEO of the company. If Biden and I worked together in a traditional office, I would have complained to the HR department, but on the campaign trail, there’s no clear path for what to do when a powerful man crosses the line. In politics, you shrug it off, smile for the cameras, and get back to the task of trying to win your race.

After the event, I told a few of my staff what happened. We all talked about the inexplicable weirdness of what he did, but I didn’t plan on telling anyone else. I didn’t have the language or the outlet to talk about what happened. Who do you tell? What do you say? Is it enough of a transgression if a man touches and kisses you without consent, but doesn’t rise to the level of what most people consider sexual assault? I did what most women do, and moved on with my life and my work.

Time passed and pictures started to surface of Vice-President Biden getting uncomfortably close with women and young girls. Biden nuzzling the neck of the Defense secretary’s wife; Biden kissing a senator’s wife on the lips; Biden whispering in women’s ears; Biden snuggling female constituents. I saw obvious discomfort in the women’s faces, and Biden, I’m sure, never thought twice about how it made them feel. I knew I couldn’t say anything publicly about what those pictures surfaced for me; my anger and my resentment grew.

Had I never seen those pictures, I may have been able to give Biden the benefit of the doubt. Had there not been multiple articles written over the years about the exact same thing — calling his creepy behavior an “open secret” — perhaps it would feel less offensive. And yet despite the steady stream of pictures and the occasional article, Biden retained his title of America’s Favorite Uncle.
Sample from the internet, not the woman in question.

8 comments:

Dad Bones said...

I can hardly wait for a female reporter to grill him about this.

The Dude said...

Run, Creepy Uncle Joe, run!

Thing is, he engages in this same behavior with young girls. In the old days he would have taken a beat down from the father, or worse. Now he just runs for president. He is the quintessential democrat perv.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

He should have gone after Hillary like his boss Obama did years earlier.

AllenS said...

Perv.

edutcher said...

Somebody wants to thin the herd before the primaries.

And I can honestly say this move is probably for the best.

If you're a Democrat.

If not, Trump vs Biden would be tons of fun.

The Dude said...

You are correct, edutcher, the woman who told that tale is a Bernie Sanders staffer.

AllenS said...

You really can't blame Bernie for trying to win any way he can. After all, if he loses, he'll still have enough left over to buy another house.

I could have swore that afterall was a word, but, no it isn't according to the spelling police.

Amartel said...

Definitely take this guy OUT before he gets in.
Thank you.
Then turn your attention to Bernie’s creepy sex ruminations. It’s gross. Google.
Then focus on the serve the wife poo cow worship flee the scene without consequences privilege Kennedy overbite impersonator freakshow with the fake name.
Then Kamala Blow Job.
Warren is self-defeating so just let that situation take care of itself.
Then we’re left with the 2 gay dudes. One is out and one is not because his constituency won’t vote for him if he’s out. They can fight each other for the prize.