Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Stargate, Amazon, Abebooks

I have Stargate on Amazon Prime playing in the background. At the 1/6 point, thereabout, I look up right as they realize the picture of the stargate that the probe sent back has different symbols than the stargate on earth. The military colonels agree they are stuck because they'll have to use the stargate in the galaxy on the far side of the known universe to get back home and no one can read the different symbols. Our goofball interpreter hero says, "I can."

They all look at the goofball like, "Whoah."

"Ok, you're in."

Just like that because that's how our military makes important decisions. Eh, what the heck. Our disbelief is already suspended.

Next scene the hero interpreter is packing to go on a trip through the stargate.


I know that book! 

It shows on the screen for only 1/2 a second.

This proves how the writers really did their research. The book is titled Egypt before the Pharaohs. It is a landmark work based on new discoveries at the time. This is the paperback version. I've seen that primitive statue a million times. 

Possibly eight times.

Sometimes the world of books is weird. 

The paperback version on Amazon is more expensive than the hardcover version. By a LOT. The paperback version is priced as a college textbook.

While the hardcover version is much less expensive. For a new one, I'm assuming.


And while at Abebooks I can buy a used hardback for $1.44.


So I bought it. Duh.

No comments: