Thursday, March 7, 2019

Fertilizer letters

N-P-K

Then you see them in all kind of varieties, 2-1-1, 0-1-4, 3-1-2, and so on.

They mean "nitrogen," "phosphorus," and "potassium."

Why is potassium a "K"? That doesn't even make sense. GAWL!

Potassium is "K" because "P" is already taken by phosphorus so they went back to Neo-Latin for the word "kalium" (alkali).

I have an acquaintance whom I've never actually tried to hit it off with because he's really not my type of friend. Even in middle-age he has the appearance of a cute little boy and dresses as if dressed by a parent and never worked a day of any real job in his life, plus he lacks social skill that would come from employment, has no known hobbies, and is rather contradictory besides. But he is not stupid. I was talking to him about micronutrient fertilizers and he interjected "aren't they all micro?"

Ew, I hate this little bastard to pieces.

"Your question is about the physical size of the particles, and yes, they are all microscopic. But the term micro/macro nutrients refers to the concentration of chemical elements applied and taken up. Modern American agriculture is largely monoculture such as Dino's wheat farm, and seasonally he'll lay down huge amounts of chemical fertilizer for a single purpose, vegetative growth, then later perhaps again for seed formation. All fine for his unique purpose. While that type of specific husbandry over time leaves the soil untended the hundreds of other nutrients that plants take up for things like root formation, cell structure, cell functioning, turning light into carbohydrates, benefitting symbiotic microorganisms, pest and fungus resistance, and all the rest that plants do."

For a multi-culture farm or garden best to amend with a broad range of lesser nutrients, trace elements, beyond the three key N-P-K, and in organic form.

Although, I'll admit that guy in Louisiana had the same species cactus as I had in Colorado and his was much larger than mine. When I asked him how he achieved that, he told me, "I water regularly with small doses of Miracle-Gro each time." Back home I copied him and my cactus improved immediately. So, straightforward blue chemical fertilizers aren't entirely bad.

But I am not eating the cactus. Syllogism:

Premise 1: You are what you eat.
Premise 2: And so are the plants.
Conclusion: If I eat my plants then I should feed the plants what I want to be.

12 comments:

chickelit said...

"Potassium" and "sodium" are neolatinate terms invented by Sir Humphrey Davy. He was allowed to name (rename) the elements after he demonstrated how to make the metals in pure form by electrolyzing potash and soda, respectively. German chemists never adopted the new names and still refer to them as kalium and natrium. They also call tungsten (W) Wolfram.

Potassium is often the limiting nutrient in nature (plants don't require sodium). Trees and other plants sequester potassium. When burned, the potassium stays behind in the ash. Our pioneer ancestors didn't waste fire ash but instead leeched the the potassium out of the pot ash. They used to to make soap, for example.

/pedantry

The Dude said...

That's a lye!

chickelit said...

"N-P-K" That must be an easy one for ASL. But I wonder how ASL handles a word like "sodium"? How do you sign the outloud names of chemical elements?

Chip Ahoy said...

Things that specific are spelled.

The Dude said...

Thinking back to my dear old school days and how my Indian materials teacher pronounced "Molybdenum" I imagine that in a chemistry class being taught in ASL, given the context, the symbol for an element would be enough. Did I hear someone in the back say "Na"? Have some respect!

Salt your dinner table convo with this sign.

edutcher said...

Don't forget Pb.

No J.

AllenS said...

Why people fertilize their lawns is beyond me.

Chip Ahoy said...

To make it thick and dark green and lug jurious.

The Dude said...

I have neighbors who apply fertilizer to their lawns. Today, while walking my dog I saw one of them, a neighbor that is, mowing his lawn. It was snowing at the time. Curse you, global warming!

AllenS said...

You just have to mow it more often. What a waste of time and money.

chickelit said...

AllenS said...Why people fertilize their lawns is beyond me.

For the sheer verdant splendor of it! Mowing it more is work -- what the Italians call "opera." Ask Joe Green!!

Dad Bones said...

In my town they pay someone to drive down every street and make sure nobody's grass is above the legal maximum height. If it is they post a sign in their yard ordering them to mow it within a certain number of days. If they don't they have a contractor who shows up and mows it, then the city bills the homeowner.

Years ago this was unheard of. Now I'm thinking it's a matter of time before they pass a law about what can grow in your yard. Dandelions seem to bother a lot of people for some reason so they'd probably be the first to go.