Friday, March 9, 2018

Fondant potatoes

Want to see something weird?

These are stats for another site that doesn't get all that much attention. It's a vanity project, actually. But it's been very helpful in teaching me my camera, lighting, settings, lenses and so forth, and now it's habitualized such that photography is part of cooking. This has been going on for a decade.

I saw a video on YouTube of a young man who took a picture of his meals for a full year. Such dedication to a project. He used his phone's camera. It went; hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger.

And that made me sad.

He was a student and didn't have time for anything else. Then I recalled my own situation as student and I did much better than that. I was learning to cook on my own. By watching Julia Child on Saturday and by reading books, by copying photographs, by going to other mature parties and dinners. I hosted dinner parties myself, sit down affairs with cocktails, courses, salads, entrees, bread, desserts, and wines. The whole nine yards. I thought, you know, impressive as this hamburger project is, I can do better than that. And I can use the site to direct people to who ask how things are done.

So the stats for the site vary wildly. They swing seasonably between 100 to over 1,000 views a day, so that's not very much.


See how it sticks out in the middle? 


Fondant means "melted." 

A potato is peeled and cut in half. Soaked to rid them of surface starch. They're fried on both flat sides and flavored with thyme. Chicken stock is added and they're baked until softened. 

*Whispers* They're not very good.

They could use a serious treatment of all the things that make baked potatoes great, sour cream, chopped scallion, bacon bits, whatever you like. 

But they sure are cute. Don't you think? They look like rooks.

No comments: