Thursday, September 1, 2016

brutally beaten

Listening to Trump's Arizona speech following his meeting in Mexico, very good by the way, not so much a rally this time, more of a policy statement. Near the beginning Trump delivers a litany of names of Americans killed and abused by illegal immigrants, explaining why his (evolving) immigration policies are critical, one of the victims he emphasizes is a ninety year old man brutally beaten and left for dead.

Now, this is unrelated. Bear with me please. I think it is interesting so I'm sharing it. 

I was interpreting the speech as he goes pretending that I'm official interpreter, silly, I know, but there it is. And I do not recall ever seeing the signal for "brutal," and it seems a good sign to know, and I thought a moment about which substitution I have that fits best. I have "really" with a hard facial expression, and "hard," and of course "bad," and "serious" but all of those seemed to fall short and dilute the idea. So I looked at internet suggestions. The sign for "extreme" is replaced. 

Ew, good one. Wish I had thought of that.

I like that. There we are, the perfect combination. This is what makes it so good:

"Extreme" is two index fingers touching and drawn apart into fists, while "beat" and "beat up" (a person) is shown with an upright index finger, the signal for "individual" a sign that falls into a class of signs that is used many other ways, attack, rape, arrested, coerced, force (a person) and so on, pounded back and forth using the other hand shaped into a fist. Index fingers and fists. They work together very well, very smoothly, to show the idea. It looks brutal. I like it. It's cool. So there you go, now you know.

Edit, per Educator in comments: "extreme beat up."


5 comments:

edutcher said...

Chip, you always amaze, but maybe an animation with it to better illustrate.

Chip Ahoy said...

Gosh, I imagined youz tired of that. "Stale" is the word that lodged, used for repeated type posts. Don't the links show? C'mon, try it. It's fun. You'll see that it feels right.

edutcher said...

Thanks, sometimes it's just easier to see it.

rhhardin said...

Erik Satie wrote "Three Pieces in the Shape of a Pear" (piano 4 hands) in response to Debussy writing that Satie's work lacked form.

There are actually six pieces in the collection, the third of which is titled Brutal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgmtyuNDabg

rhhardin said...

Here's a musically better one youtube that I thought had disappeared from youtube.