Friday, January 4, 2019

Railroaded

I recently read a book written by my long-time friend Tom Low. He was actually my oldest brother's friend, but I used to hang around with them, so now that my brother is gone I am the default go-to surviving brother.

I have known Tommy (as he was called then) since, well, nearly all of my life. Certainly over 60 years. Anyway, he wrote a book entitled "Train Wreck" about a head-on collision between two trains right outside of DC on February 16th, 1996. He used to commute on the MARC train from his home to work in DC, but had moved away by the time the accident occurred.

It's a good book, a straightforward telling of a railroading tragedy that need not have happened, save for several small details and, I have to say, the utter and near-complete corruption of the railroad corporations and unions. I like companies, have never worked anywhere but in the private sector, but railroads are uniquely outside of the laws of man and God, as near as I can tell. And unions - don't get me started.

As I read the book I paid attention to typos, homophone errors, usage errors, math errors and that sort of thing, you know how I do. I make plenty of typos myself - they are a natural byproduct of writing, so I asked Tommy if he would like my feedback, he said yes and I sent him a list of things I found. He was embarrassed, and eventually hopes to get the book reprinted.

Train Wreck, by Tom Low, ISBN: 978-0-615-33448-6. Look for it, read it if you have a notion.

I have more to write about railroads, but this post is long enough as is. One thing I have to mention is that I learned more about railroad operation by reading this book than I had in a lifetime of sort of paying attention to trains.

6 comments:

ricpic said...

This post needs Fast Freight by The Kingston Trio. Haunting.

Dad Bones said...

All I know about trains came mainly from the American Flyer trains my dad set up in the basement, appropriately where the coal bin was. He really knocked himself out with two tracks and two trains, a mountain with a tunnel through it and a lake he created with a broken piece of glass. We even had engineer caps.

Both of my grandfathers worked for a railroad at one time or other, and my dad and his dad used to ship cattle to Chicago and ride in the caboose so I should probably read that book you edited to learn a little more. Thanks for touching on a subject I rarely think about.

The Dude said...

Railroading is frequently an occupation handed down in families. Tommy wrote at length about the history of the B&O, which was a local concern and he included the history of those involved in the wreck. Baltimore grew large on the intersection of railroading and the sea port and the folks that grew up in the RR section of town had strong family ties to the railroad business.

Also, the town of Brunswick figures in the story, and the Brunswick HS Railroaders were our fierce intra-county rivals in various sports endeavors. They were some tough customers right there.

MamaM said...

Since one of the SonsM enjoys train lore, I looked up the book online and found it listed for $5.23 which seemed reasonable only to discover upon checkout that $27.99 was required in shipping! And there's only one left! How fittin' is that?
The story of trains: Limited availability and pricey to use in the long run.

Is he currently self-publishing it?

Over the weekend,I helped my sister, who is ten years older than I am and less ambulatory, find transportation to the funeral of a friend that was held this week out east near Boston. While the train went right past her destination city, the city she'd need to leave from at midnight on the outbound had no safe overnight/long-term parking and no manned station in which to wait prior to departure Although she'd have preferred the train, it turned out to be less expensive and easier for her to fly first class with wheelchair service than take the 20 hour trip on the train with an overnight roomette.

The Dude said...

Trains, slow, but inconvenient.

I have taken the train twice - both times from here to roughly NYC to visit my son and his family. Spend a day riding, a day visiting and a day riding home. But it was worth it to spend time with my boy. I like his wife but she is so soft spoken that I have literally never understood a single word she said.

Have your son stop by next time he is in the area and I will give him my copy - as I say, the story, which is well told and well researched, is ultimately a tragedy as it is about a train wreck.

MamaM said...

Now that's a good offer, SixtyG. One that will work in the long run! And I will keep it listed on my hold list in case one shows up from another seller that's less to ship.

Learning how to look at train wrecks and achievements in the hope of learning something of value and import is a process that eventually broadens perspective at the same time it hones in on my old favorite, truth and grace, leaving us as participants and onlookers a place to stand and be, learn and grow!