Sunday, January 13, 2019

On the Shelf: Ordinary Grace

Ordinary Grace, a novel by William Kent Krueger, arrived in early December.  It came as the result of a blog mention by an unknown other that prompted enough interest on my end to bring it home to my shelf, with two additional copies sent on to loved ones after I'd read mine.  It opens and closes with the storyteller's thoughts on grace and death.

From the prologue:
It was a summer in which death, in visitation, assumed many forms.  You might think I remember that summer as tragic and I do but not completely so.  My father used to quote the Greek playwright, Aeschylus.  "He who learns must suffer.  And even in our sleep pain, which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon the heart, until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God." 

In the end maybe that's what the summer was about... I've come four decades since but I'm not sure that even now I fully understand.  I still spend a lot of time thinking about the events of that summer.  About the terrible price of wisdom.  The awful grace of God.

From the final pages:
I'm a teacher of history in a high school in Saint Paul and what I know from my studies and from my life is that there is not such thing as a true event  We know dates and times and locations and participants but accounts of what happened depend upon the perspective from which the event is viewed.  Take the American Civil War.  The residents of the beleaguered Confederacy recounted a very different history from the one touted by the victorious Union.  It's the same with the history of a family.  Whenever we talk about New Bremen I'm aware that Jake [brother] and my father recall things I don't and what we remember together we often remember differently.  I'm sure that each of us has memories that for reasons our own we don't share.  Some things we prefer remain lost in the shadows of our past...And of that summer in which so much death occurred we hardly speak at all.

We stand the three of us where an important part of our lives lies buried.  We can see the river brown with silt and on the far side the patchwork of fields and beyond the wooded hills that long ago channeled the glacial flood of the River Warren.  The sun is low in the sky and the light is pollen yellow an the afternoon is blessedly still.  

"It's been a good day," my father says with satisfaction. "It's been a good life."

In the way he did as a child  whenever my father finished a sermon, Jake whispers, "Amen".

Me, I throw an arm around each of them and suggest, "Let's go have a beer."

We turn, three men bound by love, by history, by circumstance and most certainly by the awful grace of God, and together walk a narrow lane where headstones press close all around, reminding me gently of Warren Redstone's parting wisdom, which I understand now.  The dead are never far from us.  They're in our hearts and on our minds and in the end all that separates us from them is a single breath, one final puff of air. 

8 comments:

ricpic said...

A Jewish Perspective

God is not love and life is not good.
God is much more than love and life is much more than good.
What is the Universe pulsing boiling blasting heat and light but God trying.
And that is why God made Man.
Because after all the trying it was still not enough
He was lonely
God was lonely for Man
And put trying in Man too
So that Man would reach for God
And in the reaching know that the gift of life
Is agony and ecstasy
Is so much more than merely good.

And death?
Death is the end of all that trying
But not for the new life always coming.

windbag said...

Thank you, MamaM. I might need to read that book. A good book gets recommended. A great book gets purchased and passed on. One such book that I came across is "Released from Shame" by Sandra D. Wilson. I can't recall how many copies I've given to others.

"The awful grace of God." I'll turn that one over for awhile.

chickelit said...

...and what I know from my studies and from my life is that there is not such thing as a true event

This reminded me of:

...even the most respected history of an event is at best an approximation.

~James Cameron, writing in the preface to The Titanic Disaster Hearings.

and

The whole incident can’t be verified, yet can’t be dismissed.

~Walter Lord, referring to the alleged suicide of William Murdoch.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Thanks for posting MamaM

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

...and what I know from my studies and from my life is that there is not such thing as a true event

This reminded me of:

"... the past is just a story we tell ourselves"

Link
An AI (with the voice of Scarlett Johansson) soothing a divorcée after a meet to sign the divorce papers. From the movie "Her" (2013)

The Dude said...

I have outlived all the older members of my family of origin. I now control the memories of what went on when talking to my one remaining, younger brother, moreover, I control whether or not those memories are even reviewed. Are there other versions of those stories? Not anymore. Nowadays I live with dogs and my analogy is this - let sleeping dogs lie.

Aw, puppies...

But where was I? I don't know about grace. None of what I read about it seems to stick or sink in. I just try to muddle through life, stay on task with my work, keep my head down and do whatever good I can in this life. That's it.

XRay said...

Nice post, MamaM. There was a post today over at Maggies re how to grow old. There was a line ""Whenever it crosses my mind, I push the thought away."" about aging and death. It matters not if I acknowledge it, it's still there. Don Juan said it hovers over your left shoulder, be mindful there.

chickelit said...

James Joyce's short story "Grace" (1914) was written in three acts: fall, conversion, and redemption. An underlying message was salvation by God’s grace, as long as we strive to right our faults.