Monday, January 14, 2019

Ptahhotep Maxims, Conclusion 5 of 7

Oh goodness such a desultory long dragged out tale of heartache, pain, and woe.

Here, pull up a chair and I'll start at the beginning. *runs*

Hey! Come back here.

This portion is long and I did it twice. The first one was snatched, just one line short of being completed. I actually tried three different recovery programs but those were unfruitful. Although they came up with all kind of weird stuff associated with my target file.

Briefly, here is what happened. I was using the second newer Macbook Air. An update notice appeared in the corner. I realized the old Macbook Air was running Mojave but the new one was running High Sierra.

While the upgrade is going there are a slew of associated upgrades, JAVA notifies it needs to be upgraded, Flash needs to be upgraded, extensions stop working on the new program and so on.

Right at the period of multiple notifications ne'er-do-well types interject with similar notifications, Flash, in this case. An Israeli firm inserted its own browser along with other hack tasks. I wanted Duckduckgo but couldn't get it. and I wasn't getting the home page that I wanted. The new insistent browser doesn't have an "images" tab and these things combined made look for ways to get rid of it .

I downloaded a cleaner to do that.

It worked. Now everything is fine.

The cleaner does other things. It offered to clear up my downloads.

I don't have any unclean downloads that I know of. I pushed that button an it cleared out the entire download file.

And that's where I keep my Photoshop files in progress. They're not actually downloaded. So I didnt' think the program would clear them, but it did.

Son of a beehive!

Poof. All that work gone. And I did it. By using the new cleaner. And not understanding what it meant by "clean up your download files." I thought it would get rid of funny business in there, not clear out the whole file. GAWL!

I had already re-written the hieroglyphs so they read left to right and I was unwilling to do that again so I learned how to copy/paste from Kindle the hackish roundabout way and flipped the printed text in Photoshop (that also reversed all the numbers).  I also used the book's own printing for the transliterations, the notes and the translations. I stopped segmenting in red from transliterations and circled the symbols instead, building them up as they go as a chain and backtracking to encapsulate words constructed from several various symbols. I think it runs very nicely. It's fun to watch.

There are portions that don't match. Portions where the notes are not helpful. And portions that do not say what they are translated to mean. Some portions do not make sense. Several words I cannot back up. I cannot find them in dictionaries.

One line is translated "do not take anything away and do not add anything." While both segments are actually different ways of saying, "don't take anything away from this."

So, going through this line by line, character by character twice, and both of those times are actually multiple times for JSesh and for Photoshop, back and forth, between programs and books, online and paper, the work required in those programs, checking, and double checking, and cross checking repeatedly, over and over and over, this portion is drilled in quite thoroughly. Test me. I'll ace it.

There is a stage for each line of constructing the red links and double circling of words where the background must be shut off the whole time to blend layers, or else the background would be blended in too for each transparency. So instead, only circles appear that were drawn around hieroglyphs while constructing the chain but now with no hieroglyphs showing and reading the English word for the signs in one panel I can visualize what goes into the blank circle in another panel for each circle, line after line. It's a bit fun actually, by way of testing. I was thinking, holy crap, I could draw all of these if I wanted to. Just say the word, boom, I can draw it.

All forced because of that technical problem.

This portion of the conclusion is saying basically, these maxims are useful as life-guidance and when you relate them to your children they will relate them to their children and to everyone. So they'll actually outlive you (and they did!) and form the basis of proper society.

Being sunk in this segment for so long I've developed Stockholm syndrome toward these lines. I'm fond of the charm to them and how things are said with their little Lego-like concept-blocks.

* A son who has heard, who follows Horus,
* it goes well for him after he hears.
* He grows old and reaches honor,
* and relates likewise to his children,
* in renewing his father's teaching,
* each man taught as he did.
* When he relates to his offspring,
* then they will tell their children.
* Set an example in giving your observation:
* make Maat firm and your offspring will live.
* As for a standard that has come under disorder,
* then people who will see the like say, "Look, that's it";
* and those who will hear the like also say "Look that's it."
* See to all of them; soothe the multitude:
* no finery will be able to be complete without them.
* Don't take away a word, don't add it;
* don't put one in place of another.
* Be careful about opening the restraints on you,
* guard against speaking like a pundit; listen to yourself.f
* If you want to fix yourself in the mouth of hearers,
* speak only when you have mastered the craft.
* When you speak from a state of completeness,
* all your advice will be as it should.

No comments: