Saturday, January 19, 2019

Smoothie from young coconut

I asked the woman, "What are those things?"

First woman, "I don't know."

Second woman, "I don't know."

Third woman, "I don't know."

Fourth woman,"Those are coconuts."

"How do you open them?"

     "I don't know."

So then, even to many Asians these things are a mystery.

Another video (too long for youz) explained in painstaking repetition of tremendous detail that these Thai young coconuts have a lot more water than the regular coconuts that you're used to seeing, and the white stuff inside is immature, just a thin layer, and easily scraped off with a spoon.

The old brown ones have less water and thicker harder white stuff inside with more flavor.

I told you about the old man in the tight outrageously colored bicycle clothing buying desiccated coconut from the bulk bins at Whole Food who explained how he makes coconut milk with the shredded white stuff blended with tap water. I think this way is a lot better because it uses the coconut water, delicious itself, blended with fresh coconut flesh.

I wonder why the woman uses extracts instead of fresh fruit and berries. It's another mystery. Health nut types are a little bit strange in their ways. Her Vitamix is a lot better than pathetic thing that I inherited from my parents, who actually never blended anything.

2 comments:

chickelit said...

Tomorrow I have need for some creme fraiche. If I can't find it at Trader Joe's, I'm gonna make it from buttermilk and cream.

Here's question for you, Chip: Does coconut oil work in place of lard/shortening in pie crust dough? It has the right consistency at room temperature, i.e., not liquid.

Chip Ahoy said...

Chickenlittle, apparently yes.