Sunday, December 3, 2017

Awww, bless

This was fun. 

I showed this already so you'll probably think the retread is boring but it warms my heart to see it. I see it more now than I did when my parents were alive and they owned it. Well, I would see it but it didn't register that much. I have more fun with it now when I don't actually see it and touch it than I did then growing up. I'd look at the pieces once a year and go, eh, the eyes are just blue dots. I imagined half the people had brown eyes and half had blue. All primary colors straight from the bottles. The skill is rudimentary. And what I recall equally well was making it, being in the craft room, the feel of the place, the heat and the smell and the sea-level atmosphere, with the heavyset woman who ran the place, fired up the kilns, her voice and her gentle temperament, and who tolerated my annoying presence. 

I found the phone under the sofa. Opened it saw 15 messages and I'm all, what? Turns out all one thread of exchanges. My family all freaking out. Barry said, "It's that time of year again." I haven't met the wives of nephews and their kids and I are mysteries to each other. We're just names and stories to each other. They express disbelief in the messages when my sister told them I was fourteen when I made this. I was actually twelve when we lived at that place. I turned thirteen then we moved. It fills me with wonder and some kind of awe that Barry's son will take this and he will leave such messages after our generation is gone.

I think it looks better in optimized video than it does in real life. But it was pleasant seeing my relative's reactions.  


Hope the video plays. It has weird video format and it didn't display in editing or preview. Maybe I can change it in i-movie. 

1 comment:

MamaM said...

It plays. What stands out at first glance is the number of pieces and the cohesiveness present. They appear as individuals in a whole, with the second impression involving the amount of persistence and regard needed to complete the set, a keep it over the years.

Bless indeed!