Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Trump national security strategy speech

What a good time to spend with an affirming video. You'll like this.  Of all places, Al Jazeera provides a good transcript if you prefer words over video.

Skip to 5:00 for the speech. He uses phrases and words not heard from politicians for awhile. I notice other sites point out he said the taboo phrase "jihadist" terror threat. He brags about his accomplishments, and they are significant, and he outlines his perspective on what it means to be American. He rejects the tenets of progressivism and post modernism, he makes his ideology clear. He's very basic.

He talks too slowly for me. I changed the speed to 1.5 with the transcript open in another window and translated the whole thing. It's fun. His vocabulary is so down to earth, so universal, that it makes the task very easy. He avoids technical jargon.

I noticed by doing this, Trump outlines his end, government's end of the things we need to do, to allow the American public to simply be Americans and blossom as Americans. He's very nicely getting government out of the way. Where Bush II constantly said, "We're gonna hafta do this, and we're gonna hafta do that." It was his repeated phrase. I signed it enough to become annoyed with it. I never read any pundit talking about that but it bugged me. Bush II put all the responsibility on us to perform his ideas, while he enlarged government such that it interferes with that expected performance.



His enemies with nothing of value to say will say instead that he drinks water like a child with his itty-bitty little boy hands. 

So lets beat them to the punch. Because we notice that ourselves. And you know what? I really hate to admit this. I noticed in myself lately some shaking just as I lift a fork to my mouth and that forces me to worry and to think of this other guy I know who does that same thing really badly. It's some dreadful disease. He doesn't, but he makes me think that he's going to fling food all over the place and it makes you want to assist feeding him but he's acting like that shaking thing isn't even happening. He just deals with it. Still, I wonder, why two hands on a bottle or a glass? 

Answer me. Why? 

Sometimes you young healthy whippersnappers who walk up and down steps without even holding the railing act so smugly able-bodied. It's triggering. You need to check your privileges.


This is a joke I do all the time. Never fails to crack people up. They explode in disabling paroxysm. It's preceded with dialogue about something redneck, something base, in a put-on accent but one that sounds natural and sincere, like I am the person, not making fun of a person, say, a mechanic talking about pulling that cherry-picker over here and yanking that engine block, then taking a sip through a straw. It's funnier pulled on people who don't know you. 

10 comments:

edutcher said...

Dude, if you're shaking, that could be Parkinson's. See a doctor.

deborah said...

He is such a breath of fresh air. All these YEARS of stunted non-speak from politicians. The using of the bent index finger to make a point. I guess the fully extended index finger was considered too aggressive.

Amartel said...

You can put googly-eyes on Trump and it doesn't matter. Behind the hard orange candy shell facade, the energizer President with that voice that will not be denied will just keep on going. I think that's what got me about Trump from a gut standpoint - the voice. Neither hectoring nor simpering, totally authentically Trumpian it cuts right through lefty whining noises (SAD!). And the substance of what I've heard since the nomination, and especially since he became president, I like. It's coherent and sensible and they don't need to lie to me to get my buy in. Which is a nice change. Now with "realist" foreign policy. (Says a lot about our prior foreign policy.)

Chip Ahoy said...

What a great point. Amartel. He says solid things clearly that are easily pictured. That's what I noticed right off just goofing around interpreting him. In all other cases I have to stop and look up something, not a bad thing because it's a learning thing after all, but not with Trump.

Those are doll eyes. I searched "roll eyes back" and I was given a choice of female eyes or a Cupie type doll, or make simple eyes.

Amartel said...

Reagan was "the Teflon president". Trump appears to be actually made out of Teflon.
They can mock his exterior all they want, it all just slides right off for easy clean up. And it makes them look bad. Hysterical and ragey and emo and petty and desperate, but also hypocritical because judging a book by its cover, a person by the color of their skin rather than the content of their character, is WRONG, right?

Amartel said...

Also, I don't mean to say he uses baby talk, simplifying matters for the deplorable peasants to better understand, etc. His statements seem to utterly confound the flabby tv/dc twits. Stuff that we easily understand seems to perplex them even on those rare occasions when they are genuinely making an effort to understand.

Amartel said...

In contrast the Obama crew would make up words and phrases, ridiculous clunky words and phrases (man-caused disasters, etc.) and overcomplicate and overpopulate the language we use to discuss policy. Also, they would politicize words. It was so silly and prissy and overbearing and passive-aggressive Obamian. This is better.

Amartel said...

Our first robot president will be Republican and actually made of Teflon.

deborah said...

I'm thinking the formula for Teflon is F4. And was discovered accidentally when it formed in the bottom of a fluorine cannister. Or something.

deborah said...

fluorine tank.