Sunday, September 15, 2019

Painting, ring pour

Forty years ago a friend of mine fourteen years my senior told me he went to the art store and bought supplies. He saw something simple and said to himself, "I can do that."

Once home and started on his project he realized he cannot do that.

It makes me laugh.

Small canvases bother me. Why even go to the trouble unless you make it huge?

Toni told me that's how it is with most people. She said, "Most people go ..." She put on a squeaky mouse voice. "... this is my taste. And this could be my taste. And maybe this is my taste." Small canvases due to uncertainty. While the artist-types go, BANG! In your face. She stretched out her arms and asserted firmly,  "THIS IS MY TASTE."

And she's right.

Small canvases mean uncertainty.


I really like how she blasts air on it at the end to create somewhat random bubbles.

5 comments:

ricpic said...

So Corot was a shit artist?

Chip Ahoy said...

Did he make little paintings or something? Are all his little scenes tiny?

Here's the thing. What are you going to do with them? Cluster fifteen of them on a wall?

I'm not understanding your question. I didn't say anything about something being shit.

I bought one little framed butterfly from the place where all those butterflies are. Because it is brilliant blue.

Now it's on a wall behind a toilet that nobody every uses.

You can see it when you stand there and piss.

But nobody does.

So it never gets seen.

But one time I did. And I'm standing there holding my dick and thinking, "that stupid wall needs at least six more framed butterflies." Poor little thing died and went to butterfly hell.

ricpic said...

Yes, Corot painted small about 80% of the time. Well, you implied that small was lacking when it came to paintings. Okay, so I pushed it to shit. The thing is that some artists don't paint small out of timidity, it's their natural bent. Corot being a prime example. Quite a few of Homer's paintings, mainly his watercolors, are small. And no, you wouldn't cluster 15 Corots or fifteen Homers on a wall. Why? Because individually they are small but weighty; they have impact.

MamaM said...

Appreciating your response, ricpic, as I, with two semesters of art history under my belt, had no awareness of Corot's work; and I enjoyed reading more about him through your mention.

ricpic said...

Corot is an artist's artist, MamaM. How to explain what that means? More about seeing the world, seeing things than saying things. Check out a small painting of his titled Chartres Cathedral or View of Chartres Cathedral.