Thursday, September 26, 2019

Boston Dynamics, robots do better tricks



Shows short legs are good for gymnastics. 




Pants sizes kill me where the waist is a bigger number than the length.

I was watching "Better Than Us" starring Kirill Käro who also stared in "The Sniffer" both on Netflix. Both very engaging movies.

In both movies his ex-wife is a total harridan and his teenage son is problematic. 

In Better Than Us the action follows the son quite a lot and I realized the dude has short legs. In fact, almost everyone in the film has short legs. And that makes the long-legged female robots that much more statuesque and spectacular. 

The women who play the androids are amazing. Very convincing. The men too, I suppose but their roles are less challenging. They play earlier generation robots so less is expected of them. They're dopes.  

And then I thought, "Am I experiencing that dysmorphia thing such as El Greco painted?" 

I prefer drawing Egyptian figures with longer legs than canon demands. It looks right to me. While short legs look wrong. 

So maybe it's me and not all these short-legged dudes all over the place.

And then I look around myself immediately and there are an inordinate population of very tall young men. The younger generation is much taller than my generation by several inches. They're awesome!

I wonder where they buy pants. 

That's got to be a problem.

Just look at the sizes on Amazon for any given style of pants. They just don't make them in size 32-40. Yet all these extremely tall thin young dudes wear pants that fit. 

I'm going to start asking them, "Where in the heck do you even find clothes that fit?"

B-Ballers R Us. 

Giraffe Express. 

Taffy Co. 

I had a cart full of stuff at checkout. The exceedingly tall young guy behind me had only three things in his arms. He was picking up a few things for lunch.

"Would you like to go in front of me?"  

     "Nah. That's okay. I'm fine.

Such patience! He could have been in/out zip/zap, but he was contented to just stand there and wait looking into his phone.

At length I was finished and walking out with my cart. In mere moments he passed me by before I was half way to the door. In three steps. Three l-o-o-o-o-n-g steps. 

Step . . . . . step . . . . . . step . . . . . . pass me right up. 

I am fascinated by all these tall thin giants. I am surrounded by giants. They make me feel short, and I'm 6 feet tall. 

And I see all these little Munchkin guys around too. Their legs are short too, obviously, but symmetrical with the trunks of their bodies. Very few are short-legged as this Boston Dynamics acrobatic gymnastic robot and the actors on Better Than Us. 

Related: 

Decades ago I knew a man who was killed in the parking lot of a popular bar. He death sent shock waves through our networks of social connections, with a warning to be very careful at night in bar parking lots. 

But previous to that I was talking to him at a party at another friend's house. The man was a bit short and so was the host and so were a lot of the other guests. Which made me tall. Relatively. And I noticed the long sleeves to his impeccably ironed shirt were folded back. And I hadn't seen anything like that since ... pffft ... ever. 

To find the right neck-size and the right fit overall, he had to put up with sleeves that are too long. In that style of shirt. They simply do not make standard shirts with wide necks and broad shoulders and shorter than normal sleeves. Manufacturers assume if your neck is thick and your shoulders are broad then your arms must be long. 

That kills me. 

And then, although very fit, his pants will be something like 32-28. With the cuffs folded up as well. Because nobody makes 32-26. 

So there are cases of short legs. But I notice with increasing frequency the younger generation is much taller than my generation. They are all around me. They're everywhere. Many up to six inches taller. And their legs are impossibly long. 

They would make terrible gymnasts. 

No comments: