Friday, September 20, 2019

Heket

This kills me. Because it is so bright green.

I am attracted to it because it is so bright. I'm thinking that will work well in my aquarium, piled up as junk down the center. The pieces I have in there so far look great, interspersed and leaning against the row of sunken Chia rams with plants throughout. The differences in tonal value of the various statuettes are turning out rather artistic, pale green, light gray, dark gray, and so on.

But I'm afraid this bright green will blow the whole thing.

It will be coated with moss eventually and the bright green toned down, but it is a color from an entirely different palette. Too bad. Because it's charming.

The other thing that kills me is this is listed under Kek, Heket, and Pepe.

See? Too brightly green. Yeah. I just talked myself out of it. 

I'll have to pick something more muted.

I love that the hieroglyphs are correct. 

You gotta appreciate that.

Read backward right to left this time. You can tell because the seated person is facing right.

The twisted rope is an "h" sound. But you do that Semitic and Gaelic gargling thing with a regular h. I think. 

The cutaway hillside is a "q" or a "k". 

The small bump, a semicircle is "t". 

The seated person indicates this is a god.

The first three signs are phonetic, the person is determinative.

But why even say that on a statue? It's like a crucifix with the name Jesus under it. Still, it's correct and it's a lot better than a crucifix with the name Gezus under it. 

Notice the frogs are not the same. These are from different molds. 

Over on eBay when you enlarge the picture of the green one you see texture of flat horizontal lines indicating 3-D printing. And that will not do.


For we are little-frog-statue elitists and we don't have to put up with that crap.

It was a fun idea but it won't work.

Over on eBay some of these little frog statues go for as much $2,000. Presumably they're real and ancient, but honestly, from Egypt, who could trust that? Their whole idea of fair business is different from ours. 

5 comments:

chickelit said...

Reminds me of a good louche

chickelit said...

Rhymes with douche

MamaM said...

Showing up as Hooker Green on my screen--a touch of it goes a long way. Not a dark, not a light--I don't use it often but when I do it's with yellow or blue added.

chickelit said...

Thanks for the clues, MamaM. Hooker was a 19th century botanical illustrator. No wonder he needed different hues and shades of green to capture the real world.

At a second glance, the color reminds me a bit of chloros, the Greek word for a yellow-green often seen in new shoots. We've been here before a bit with your long ago comment on what Robert Frost meant by "Nothing Gold Can Stay." If I recall, you thought it was the yellow gold of early spring. That's chloros. It's also the color of chorine gas, whence the name.

At a third glance, I'm seeing a bit of opacity in Chip's frog color. It's not a very transparent color -- like a touch of milky white were added.

ricpic said...

If you put that acid green frog at the bottom of your tank that would allow you to also put in little pink flamingos.

Go for it!