Monday, September 16, 2019

Mail order steaks



In Denver I still like Oliver's best. They've been around for generations. It means the son took over the business, that's what it means. And now he's quite old. They sell USDA Prime that's been aged.

And it makes a huge difference. 

Day before yesterday my brother told me that Costco also sells USDA prime. I did not know that. If it's true then it might be worth looking into getting a membership. 

He's such a protein elitist. Nothing but grass-fed and free range and organic everything. You'd probably find it obnoxious. His wife is the same way. She's from Ukraine where most everyone is rather poor, still their food is much closer to farm life than our civilization. They're very particular about food. 

And that shows you that poor farm people really live it up.

Yesterday I cooked a catfish from WholeFoods. I didn't realize how big it was until I opened the package. Then I saw the price sticker and I was all, "w-h-a-a-a-t?" 

$10.50 for one stupid fish.

The thing was huge. Took up a whole platter. And thick. So I ate the whole thing. With candied carrots and fruit; kiwi, peach and watermelon. ))) burp (((

Dusted with flour right on top of the butcher block paper. Drenched in beaten egg. Coated with panko bread crumbs that were rubbed with olive oil so they'd toast and baked for 12 minutes, checked, then baked another 12 minutes.  

Oh, Lordie that was good. 

I don't know why I don't do that more often.

Also, these places with fish counters have perfect looking fish. This used to be impossible in Denver. But now there are so many Californians living here that whole fish-situation has improved markedly. 

Only one place to get sushi. Now there are a million. 

But the fish counter people are still reticent. I ask them what they suggest for sushi and each one suggests that I go to the Asian market. 

So discouraging.

I've been to the Asian market. Their fish counter really is impressive. But their selection is actually no better than the rest. The tuna is not better. And how good can salmon get? I like it all. I even like fish that's been frozen. I'm easy to please. I am not a fish-elitist. 

The Whole Foods guy recommended I go to the Asian market. They also sell frozen cuts chosen specifically for sushi, but it's no better than everything else. I went back to him and bought the tuna in his counter. Deep red with no blood lines. No patches of black. No streaks of thick fat. It turned out excellent. From my point of view. It made excellent sushi. 

Maybe an expert would go, "This stuff is crap" but I liked it a lot. That one chunk of tuna was expensive. $22.00 for one large tuna steak. It made a very large spread of sushi with about half left over for poke or tuna salad or whatever. And that' would have cost up to $100.00 if bought separately. My last dinner at the sushi place in Broadway Market down the street a few blocks was +$60.00. So making it at home was a bargain. 

I think I'm going to do more of this. Fish is easy to digest. Very easy on my aging body.

It's taken me this long to learn there is no comparison with aged soy sauce. It's a lot more expensive but so what. The regular type is salty and harsh, the one-year aged versions are mild, the four-year aged versions are actually sweet. 

I don't know why my parents didn't figure this out. They used a lot of soy sauce. Wait, I do know. They never had internet shopping. Their old-school choices were limited. 

3 comments:

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Fish stores do not want to recommend sushi because if you get sick you will blame them. That is why they send you to the Asian stores.

Fish at the Asian store is not going to be any fresher. Fish is pretty much frozen everywhere (other than off the dock) and shipped to where ever it is going and thawed out.

If I am getting sushi grade fish it can't have any odor, must look like it is premium, and you are going to pay accordingly. But as you noted, a $20 piece of tuna makes a lot of sushi. It will probably be yellow fin, but so what, it is still good. High value toro (blue fin) probably all got shipped to Japan or is bought up by the domestic sushi restaurants.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I loved that 'Jiro Loves Sushi' documentary on how old Jiro looked for unusual cuts at the fish market (rather than fatty blue fin toro) because he found it was tastier.

ndspinelli said...

Friends have sent me Omaha and KC Steaks for Christmas. Pretty good.