Words encountered online provided by people who wish to lord it over us with their superior vocabulary.
Some words are bizarre and should never be used and others are ordinary vocabulary encountered during moments of being temporarily brain-dead. Others are neologisms produced in academia through the impulse of controlling dialogue by controlling language, such as "incel." Who even uses a word like that? NPCs, that's who.
There are only 42.
I bet you $10.00 you know a whole bunch of them.
* aibohohibia: fear of palindromes. Get it? Ha ha ha, there is no such thing, nobody has fear of palindromes.
* alcalde: or Alcalde ordinario, it the traditional Spanish municipal magistrate, who had both judicial and administrative functions. A mayor having judicial powers.
In "muh edjumakashuns" tyrannical commie alcalde Bill DeBolshevik is under fire for scrapping the entrance exams to NYC's elite high schools because "disparate impact" ...
* amerce: To punish by a fine imposed arbitrarily at the discretion of the court
* arabber: A street vendor selling fruits and vegetables from a colorful, horse-drawn cart.
The black Baltimore arabber tradition is on its last leg. For the city's sake, it should continue.
* austrolorpes: A chicken breed of Australian origin, developed as utility breed with a focus on egg laying.
New babies-ducks, austrolorpes (layers) and meat birds. Also bought 3 turkeys. Hubby is a sucker for little fuzzy babies.
Oh, that kind of layer.
* Ayurvedic: A system of medicine with historical roots in the Indian subcontinent. Globalized and modernized practices derived from Ayurveda traditions are a type of complementary or alternative medicine. In countries beyond India, Ayurveda therapies and practices have been integrated in general wellness applications and in some cases in medical use.
Learn About Ayurvedic Cooking
* boîtes: nightclub
Those of us old enough to remember recall the subversive nature of American culture during Soviet times, clandestine jazz concerts in Moscow boîtes, hidden screenings of certain movies, samizdat publication of forbidden novels, etc.
* boodling: Money, especially counterfeit money. Money accepted as a bribe. Slang Stolen goods; swag.
With a quarter of a billion dollars (!!) to divvy up every year, one easily could get an arm broken when the boodling begins.
* Chevauchée: A raiding method of medieval warfare for weakening the enemy, primarily by burning and pillaging enemy territory in order to reduce the productivity of a region, as opposed to siege warfare or wars of conquest.
Mueller's Chevauchee: Burn Everyone and Everything Trump Loves.
* Optic chiasma: the X-shaped partial decussation on the undersurface of the hypothalamus through which the optic nerves are continuous with the brain
“… waiting for something to radiate directly from the paintings on these invariably pure white walls, in this room, in this moment, into my own optic chiasma.
* craquelure: The fine pattern of dense cracking formed on the surface of materials and can be induced by drying, aging, intentional patterning, or a combination of all three.
This constant push and pull creates a craquelure, in addition to the normal chemical craquelure that occurs as the paint dries.
* croft: A small enclosed field or pasture near a house. 2. A small farm, especially a tenant farm.
* demiurgically: A powerful creative force or personality. A public magistrate in some ancient Greek states. A deity in Gnosticism, Manichaeism, and other religions who creates the material world and is often viewed as the originator of evil. A Platonic deity who orders or fashions the material world out of chaos.
Spurred on by the ubiquitous and demiurgically verbose Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, an inexhaustible storehouse of naïve political opinions, these candidates outdo each other in policy fatuities.
* favela: Brazilian Portuguese for slum, is a low-income historically informal urban area in Brazil.
Trash picking is a profession more often associated with shantytowns and favelas than a city at the doorstep of Silicon Valley.
* ferrules: (a corruption of Latin viriola "small bracelet", under the influence of ferrum "iron") is any of a number of types of objects, generally used for fastening, joining, sealing or reinforcement. They are often narrow circular rings made from metal, or less commonly, plastic. Ferrules are also often referred to as eyelets or grommets within the manufacturing industry.
The plastic sleeve preventing the ends of shoelaces from unraveling (called the aglet)
The metal sleeve which is crimped to hold the eraser in place on pencils
The metal band that binds the bristles or hair of a brush to its handle
The metal ring which holds a chisel blade's tang to the handle
In fiber optic terminations, glass or plastic fibers are bonded to precision ferrule connectors (FCs), also described as fiber channel connectors, and polished for splitting or connecting two fibers together
The metal spike at the end of the shaft of an ice axe
And more at Wikipedia.
Books are masters who instruct us without rods or ferrules, without words or anger, without bread or money.
* Fibromyalgia: chronic widespread pain and heightened pain response to pressure. Tiredness, sleeplessness, memory troubles.
Fibromyalgia is seldom lethal for patients, even though it kills me.
* gammon: the hind leg of pork after it has been cured by dry-salting or or brining. It may or may not be smoked. Like bacon, it needs to be cooked before it can be eaten. It may be sold on-the-bone or without the bone, or as steaks or slices.
It was a rotten gammon faced brexiter.
* gibbous: Characterized by convexity; protuberant: a gibbous seashell. More than half but less than fully illuminated from the point of view of an observer. Used of phases of the moon or the planets.
One unnamed Federal LEA group member asked: “what’s this ‘waxing or waning gibbous moon s*** and why do we need it?’
* gunsel: 1) a criminal armed with a gun. 2) catamite
If you’re not able to get to the Big Apple this weekend, don’t get mad and rough up a gaudy gunsel.
* hamartia: A fatal flaw leading to the downfall of a tragic hero or heroine.
Hillarys Hamartia, Victor Davis Hanson
* incel: involuntarily celibate, a person (usually male) who has a horrible personality and treats women like sexual objects and thinks his lack of a sex life comes from being ugly when its really just his blatant sexism and terrible attitude.
Jordon Peterson threatens to sue professor who called him an incel.
* incept: to take in; ingest, to receive as a member.
I have long found it very interesting that one man with connections to Western intelligence attempted to "incept" George Papadoplous with the claim that Russia had dirt on Hillary Clinton, and then another man with connections to Western intelligence then arranged, for some reason, to meet with Papadopolous and extract this same information from him.
* koros: KOROS (Corus) was the personified spirit (daimon) of insolence, disdain, satiety and surfeit. He was the son of Hybris (Excessive Pride) and brother of Dyssebeia (Impiety).
A greed or overachieving ambition that is the result of hamartia.
* Lepetomane: Le Pétomane, the stage name of the French flatulist (professional farter) and entertainer Joseph Pujol. He was famous for his remarkable control of the abdominal muscles, which enabled him to seemingly fart at will. His stage name combines the French verb péter, "to fart" with the -mane, "-maniac" suffix, which translates to "fartomaniac". The profession is also referred to as "flatulist", "farteur", or "fartiste"
It is a common misconception that Joseph Pujol actually passed intestinal gas as part of his stage performance. Rather, Pujol was able to "inhale" or move air into his rectum and then control the release of that air with his anal sphincter muscles. Evidence of his ability to control those muscles was seen in the early accounts of demonstrations of his abilities to fellow soldiers.
Today's occasional wall is a Lepetomane Toll Booth.
* moron’s bath-chair: bicycle. bath-chair is for handicapped to get into a tub.
[screed abut bicycles] And elevators must be shared with the cycling faddist so attached to his “moron’s bath-chair” that he has to take it with him everywhere he goes.
* nacelles: A a housing, separate from the fuselage, that holds engines, fuel, or equipment on an aircraft.
Bell is keen to show off the V-280’s fixed engine nacelles.
* nepot: Nepotism based on favor granted to relatives in various fields, including business, politics, entertainment, sports, religion and other activities.
* ombre: An example of ombre is the color of a dress that is light gray at the top, medium gray in the middle and dark gray at the bottom. Ombré (literally "shaded" in French) is the gradual blending of one color hue to another, usually moving tints and shades from light to dark. It has become a popular feature for hair coloring, nail art, and even baking, in addition to its uses in home decorating and graphic design
* pareve: Judaism Prepared without meat, milk, or their derivatives and therefore permissible to be eaten with both meat and dairy dishes according to dietary laws: pareve margarine.
The summary is toned down and acknowledges only the appearance of bias and of weak policies. It’s “pareve” as we say in the mother language. The really bad criticism stops with Comey and allows Yates and Lynch to emerge relatively unscathed for a lack of supervision.
* parlous: Perilous; dangerous: "starting from scratch in parlous economic times” Obsolete Dangerously cunning.
* paskudnyaks: ugly, revolting, evil person; nasty person; scoundrel; lout.
* patzer: A poor or amateurish chess player
* pawl: A pawl is a mechanical component that engages with another component to prevent movement in one direction, or prevent movement altogether. A gear used in handcuffs.
(escaping from handcuffs) "Yeah," I answered. "Now, let's try shimming the pawl."
* peloton: In a road bicycle race, the peloton is the main group or pack of riders. Riders in a group save energy by riding close near other riders.
Turner was fully clothed when he was spotted lying on, and presumably molesting, the woman, AKA "Emily Doe," by two passing Swedish bicyclists in the early hours of the morning – not an especially good time, given the hour and a nocturnal peloton, for accurate observation.
* Psephology: A branch of political science which deals with the study and scientific analysis of elections.
Psephology is not prophecy, and only a rash man would, at this distance venture a prediction.
* purple nurple: The result of a titty twister that is so severe that the nipple turns purple. (Nurple means nipple).
I got a titty twister so bad I got a purple nurple.
Ha ha ha, that's what I thought it was.
An alcoholic beverage featured in supernatural. A Purple Nurple is a type of alcoholic cocktail drink that is made by putting coconut rum, triple sec, Blue Curacao, cranberry juice, and ice in a cocktail shaker. The ingredients are then shaken up and strained into a glass for serving.
Boo. Nobody drinks that.
Link on Ace: Steve "Purple Nurple" Cohen Compares Trump Presidency To Notre Dame Disaster
Why would anyone bother to read such a link?
* Sauve qui peut: a complete rout, literally, save who can, save yourself if you can, or may he save himself, whoever can.
* schvantz: Yiddish for penis.
... 18-month old and still going witch hunt by the Democrat-Left-Media complex, of which Rosenschvantz and Mueller are card-carrying members ...
* Smilex-gas: lso referred to as "Happy Gas" by the Joker, and "Joker Toxin" by others, is a nerve toxin that attacks the nervous system of its victims, causing a slow, painful death.
Tater's got a big, wide Smilex-gas Joker mouth. That boy looks like he could suck the chrome off a robot-dick.
* spruik: to make or give a speech, especially extensively or elaborately; spiel; orate, especially to advertise a show. Promote or publicize.
Holmes launched Theranos in 2003, spruiking the company as a cheaper and more efficient way for patients to test for life-threatening conditions, like cancer and diabetes, with just a few drops of blood from their fingers.
* titrate: To ascertain the quantity of a given constituent by adding a liquid reagent of known strength and measuring the volume necessary to convert the constituent to another form.
You have one job: to protect and defend the land of Israel, and your political aspirations are secondary. Succeed, and your place in history will be assured. Fail, as you have for years, and your tenor as prime minister will be seen as political posturing for personal gain.
No more titrated responses. Kill Israel's enemies wherever they are, using whatever tools are necessary to succeed.
* Zelig: 1983 American mockumentary film written and directed by Woody Allen and starring Allen and Mia Farrow. Allen plays Leonard Zelig, a nondescript enigma, who, out of his desire to fit in and be liked, takes on the characteristics of strong personalities around him.
Michael Avenatti is some combination of a vampire and Zelig.