Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Money

Changes everything.

Oh man. The True Colors video got me watching other Cindy Lauper videos. There are a million of them of her in concert uploaded to YouTube, a thousand of them for this song, but I love this video the best of them all.

Not the best video, but I love it the best.

This was 1984 or 1985, and looking back I'm blown away how raw the energy.

I love this video so much. She comes onstage and kicks around trashcans. Then oddly climbs into one. And is lifted over the audience. They go nuts. This concert was in Houston.

Read through the comments. It makes me a bit sad. That decade was the best.

3 comments:

The Dude said...

Her shoes don't match. How glaring must that be for me to notice? Glaringly glaring.

windbag said...

I've always like this song and this version. It's funny, but I mentioned this song the other day, when I was making the point that...wait for it...money changes everything. I knew a girl in high school who looked like Cindi Lauper. She wasn't slutty, good looking, or a dope head, but she was an absolute riot to be around. She plays goalie on a women's hockey team these days.

MamaM said...

Curious. I wondered how old she was at this performance as her energy and attitude reminded me of a young adolescent/teenage girl? Also wondered if that trash-kicking energy came from someplace deeper than a desire to perform and have fuh-un?

Turns out she's a year older than I am and sure enough, she "left home at 17 to escape an abusive step-father", whom she describes in her memoir as "a paedophile" who beat and bullied her mom, and threatened to rape her daughters while she was at work.

I was married in 82, working 50-60 hours a week during those years to make ends meet until I stopped to have our first son in 86. Marriage and children change things too along with money.
So does the ability to express oneself. Yesterday, someone whose wisdom I respect said, "Art is a conduit to wholeness".