Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Rarest tomato ever, Giant Crimson

Crimson means red, right?

What's so rare about that?


Psych!

Judging by YouTube videos, we gardener types are a little bit overly excitable.

There is something in the word "giant" that caused me to expect a very large tomato and then he comes out with this pygmy. What a buzz kill.


When he talks about his seeds, I appreciate what he is doing. He has an excellent online shop. He's a biz wax major in college, same as myself, but he's running his seed business as a vanity project and he's done a great job of it, and I appreciate that. I suppose he'll add these seeds to his collection at migardener.  Let's see. He has twenty tomato seeds types at $1.00 a package, and they all look fantastic, and some of them look very red, but not Giant Crimson. Yet.

Commenters say that he always puts more seeds in the packages than advertised.

Other commenters to other nationally known seed outfit sites say things like, "The package said 20 seeds but there were only 18." For various reasons given, that mattered.

Actually, I don't know what to do with extra seeds. Plant them, of course. Give them away. Rare Seeds always sends an extra package of something not ordered. Instead of buying everything at once, I placed separate orders as I visualized them growing outside, and that resulted in half a ton of free seeds of strange plants that I have no intention of planting. Chocolate mint, Thai basil, Russian black tomatoes, weird little squashes, things I don't want. My planters are specific, not willy-nilly. Although, the whole thing is an extended experiment.

No comments: