Sunday, April 28, 2019

Heathens, ASL

Such a strange and intriguing style. I'm showing this because she's beautiful.



Then I figured something out. 

The strangeness matches the strangeness elsewhere. The odd choices match and that's even more odd. 

To see what I mean, interpret it yourself. How would you say "heathens?" 

There is not a sign for "heathens" so you have to figure something out. You have to define "heathen" with another sign. 

Which word or phrasing would you use? 

Both use "join, finish" or "disjoined or unconnected."

I would use "sinner." 

I think the person in the first video ↑ copied the person in the second video ↓. Because the second is innovative and the first has several slapdash poorly formed signs.

"Slow" is shown the splayed fingers dragged across the back of the opposite hand to the base of the wrist. Some dictionaries show the dragging going further up the arm but not all the way up.  But that manner of signifying "slow" looks too much like the sign for "long" done with one finger going up the arm. I see the word "long" not the word "slow." If they were talking to me I would mistake their meaning.

The first ↑ says "abuse" as if the person is laying down and a boulder comes along and brushes past it. The second ↓ is formed better, a person standing up being pounded.

Here's the thing. I'm slow on the uptake. If you're talking to me, then your signs must be well-formed or I will not get you. My mind is not sufficiently flexible to accept and transform a poorly formed "long" into "slow" or to see "abuse" in a person laying down brushed with a fist instead of standing upright getting pounded. I will not see "dancing" if their feet are not even touching a wall instead of brushing across the floor. I will not hear any specific instrument if you sign "music." You must think of me the receiver, not just yourself the signer. I'm not a f'k'n mindreader.  I'm actually quite slow. Talk to me like I'm retarded.

I will never see "heathens" in "join, finish." Best to spell that if you want me to see "heathens," it is after all the essential word in this song. It is the title.

Why am I seeing "magic?" ↑ (My brother did this to me in a public bathroom, washing our hands together. He sprayed my face with water from his wet hands. I felt his magic pow right in my face. He kept blowing my mind all the time. I eagerly wanted his magic.)

"Half" one over two. Do you see that anywhere?

"Half the abuse," one over two, one pounded with a fist. That's what I must see to understand. Because I'm retarded. Anything that's not clearly that, I will not understand. She does this ↓.

It's not a case of you getting through the song with your unique style, it's a case of you getting across to me with clearly formed textbook signs and phrasing. Anything short of that is fail in my comprehension. You must be clear.

"know" and "don't know" look like "salute."

Both these girls are beautiful and quite good but they are not clear. To me.

"Room full of people" Room, a square made with 2 "r" boink boink, packed tight with double shaking "p" shapes. Do you see that? Or, did you see "fill" a cup shape with a flat hand showing it's filled?

All my friends are heathens, take it slow
Wait for them to ask you who you know
Please don't make any sudden moves
You don't know the half of the abuse
All my friends are heathens, take it slow
Wait for them to ask you who you know
Please don't make any sudden moves
You don't know the half of the abuse

Welcome to the room of people
Who have rooms of people that they loved one day
Docked away
Just because we check the guns at the door
Doesn't mean our brains will change from hand grenades
You're loving on the psychopath sitting next to you
You're loving on the murderer sitting next to you
You'll think, "How'd I get here, sitting next to you?"
But after all I've said, please don't forget

3 comments:

ricpic said...

"I would use sinners."

How about pagans? If there's a sign for that. Or better yet, godless. There has to be a sign for that.

The Dude said...

Class starts up again tomorrow and my teacher is going to be displeased that I would rather fingerspell "heathens" than try to describe "people of the heath" using signs.

I could lip read the woman in the first video, that was helpful. The second one had the music mixed a bit louder and I realized how much I dislike it. Kids these days!

I like the "wipe your memory clean" move for "forgot". Good one.

The Dude said...

Class was good today, our teacher returned after a few weeks of vacation and she was pleased that we had met as a class and practiced *signs practice*. Her friends told her no one does that, yet we did.

Also, if I watch the second video at half speed I can actually get some of the signs. Part of my problem with that chick is she seems hyper, frenetic, overactive, some damn thing. At half speed she seems a bit more normal. Friends say take it slow.