Saturday, December 22, 2018

Poppyseed cake from scratch

The employees of various departments of the Federal Reserve Denver were big on pot lucks.

At the time there was a woman in my department who was known to have survived the WWII holocaust. She is a tiny fireball of woman. Just half my height. She was difficult for other women to like. She was all around difficult for being so headstrong and so fierce. Difficult to work with.

She has two sons who adore her. One became a lawyer the other became a doctor and the woman could not have been happier about that. She showed off her two sons to all of us. There is no doubt to anyone the success of the men was due largely if not mostly to the woman's determination and single-minded focus; one of my sons will be a lawyer and the other son will be a doctor, and that's it! She spent her life making it so.

In anticipation of one of these pot lucks the lady said to me, "Do you like poppyseed cake? I make poppyseed  cake. I bring poppyseed cake tomorrow. You have a piece. I make from s-c-c-c-ratch dis poppyseed  cake. You have some. I bring tomorrow. From s-c-c-c-cratch I make dis poppyseed cake. From s-c-c-c-ratch!

I don't particularly care for poppyseed cake. What's with poppyseeds anyway? All those dots all over the place. If I was tested for drugs then I'd test positive for opioids. Oh well. She cornered me. Tomorrow I'm having poppyseed cake whether I like it or not. One does not deny this woman her poppyseed cake satisfaction. It's a small thing. But it's a big thing.

Next day, "Here, have some poppyseed cake I make from s-c-c-c-ratch. From s-c-c-c-ratch I make dis poppyseed cake."

"Thank you."

I ate the cake. It's all the eh.

Later that day, "You like my popppyseed cake? I make from s-c-c-c-ratch dis poppyseed cake, from s-c-c-c-ratch I make dis. S-c-c-c-ratch I tell you.

"Yes. It tastes great. You make a great cake from scratch."

"You want my recipe? It's a special recipe. It takes a whole bottle of poppyseeds. A whole bottle!"

"Sure. I'd like to have this recipe."

Lie. I never intend to make this cake. But it would be a mistake to deny this woman her poppyseed cake recipe satisfaction."

"Okay, here is my recipe for poppyseed cake I make from s-c-c-c-ratch. First, you buy a box of vanilla cake mix, and then you buy a jar of poppyseeds. Make the cake and put in the whole jar of poppyseeds. From s-c-c-c-ratch, this poppyseed cake recipe. S-c-c-c-ratch"

"Thank you. Very nice. Great idea here. You're a very good cook."

3 comments:

ampersand said...

Poppyseed is pretty tasty sprinkled on bread but the cake is awful. I don't think there's any other culinary uses for it.

The Dude said...

Now that right there is funny, I don't care who you are!

edutcher said...

At the time there was a woman in my department who was known to have survived the WWII holocaust. She is a tiny fireball of woman. Just half my height. She was difficult for other women to like. She was all around difficult for being so headstrong and so fierce. Difficult to work with.

Self-explanatory. She refused to let the Krauts kill her. I'm guessing Russian, too. They can be very stubborn. They have to survive those 40 below winters and a lousy political system (and then the Commies took over).