Sunday, December 30, 2018

Tilapia is the worst

I don't know why I haven't been here for so long. Their old place was like this too. On the same street but now several blocks closer to me, hardly a difference when I have to drive out there anyway, it just seems significantly closer. But it isn't. Pacific Ocean Market moved to new digs when Costco set up nearby. Obviously Cosco is the greater outlet but Pacific Ocean Market is a lot more interesting. 

Cosco is about bulk. Huge quantities of things. Pacific Ocean Market is about providing Asians living in America with the things that they're fond of and need. They are worlds apart in orientation. 

See what I did there? Orient. 

They're lovely people. 

Although, one time, I walked straight up to an old guy on a stool stocking things on a top shelf to ask him which one is the good kind of mirin and spoke directly to him, shooting my question at him abruptly and he ran away.

Now, he knew I can't chase him. What an asshole.

No fair.

But today these people were all lovely.


The other fish in the glass counters are much better than these. But there were people standing in front of them and I didn't intend to buy anything there. But keep it in mind. Although somewhat pricey for excellent selection and fantastic cuts, it's still a lot less expensive than Whole Foods. 

Say, if you want an entire red snapper, or gigantic cut of salmon or tuna suitable for sushi. This is the place to come.

I bought a sack full of clams because they're right there in the front of the cases and I could pick them out myself. 

Butter and white wine, a bit of diced onion and herbs would be very nice with that. Just heat it all up in a pot until they steam open.

My dad's uncle ran such a seafood place in Scranton Pennsylvania and my dad worked there awhile, a few summers I think, and he liked to hang out with his uncle along with us two boys. Then, he'd inevitably bring home a bucket of clams and Barry and I were all, "Ew, gross." And that odor of clean fresh seafood combined with the hosed down wet concrete dock exists as a primal scent. Just one whiff of that or a similar smell and, schwing ... transported through time and through space. 





Shrimp. It's quite a selection. 

2 comments:

ricpic said...

Tilapia is kind of tasteless. But I eat it every so often to get my healthy fish protein fix.

windbag said...

A friend owns a fish market. The only way I've heard him express appreciation for tilapia is the sales it generates. I've seen him more animated while talking about scallops.